Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear tire just took another nail but that's alright cause it was time for a change.
Anyway I just checked out Newbonneville and they don't carry the rear tire for
my 2001 Bonnie. My local mechanic charges $148 for the stock Bridgestone BT 45 130/80-17
is that about right? If it's over priced can you recommend a website? (I live in the US)
I might also change my front tire (Bridgestone BT 45 100/90-19) how much for that?
Does anyone use the Metzler tires what do you think do they
perform any better do they look kool:)? Last question, is there a high quality tube I can use that's not ridiculously expensive instead of the stock tube and where can I can them?

peace & smiles,

-kAj

·
30,533 Posts
www.denniskirk.com

pretty reasonable prices - not the best prices on the net, but way better than dealers typically, even by the time shipping and handling has been added. I then take the tyre along to my dealer for fitment. I always buy a new inner tube from the dealer. My particular dealer doesn't care whether I supply the tyre or they do - they still charge me the same to fit it. They do a good job too.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I just bought new tires in November - priced all the popular joints on the 'net and wound up with Motorcycle Super Store, two Metzler LaserTechs for, I think, $202 delivered.
Bought the Metzlers 'cause I got 11k miles from the stock set. The rear has a nicer tread pattern than the original. Mounted them myself - well, along with my over-the-hill buddy Tom.
Oh, by the way, I did not get new tubes. Think the tubes from the factory are Pirelli? Never had a nail or anything so I kept the same ones.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Check out Southwest Moto Tires: $107.95 for your rear tire. However, you need to add freight to the equation. You also have to pay to have it mounted and balanced. I can get that done at a local "metric" bike shop for $22 a tire (the dealer is out of the question - way too much money).

I also recommend Michelin tubes. They hold air better than the OEM tubes (Kenda, I think).

·
30,533 Posts
Well, I just did a little price matching, and those three dealers are pretty equivalent. They each win out by a couple of bucks depending on which particular tyre you want, so that's 3 good sources I guess. Always good to have around. I think I'll pop this thread in the info sticky for future reference.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2008 Bonneville Black
12,262 Posts
I used to buy tires online for my cage. But last time around two of the four tires were damaged, there were bulges on the sidewalls. The installer said the tires were bad, the online folks said the installer damaged the tires. No one would take responsibility and I ended up buying new tires.

That's just one guy's experience, but if you buy the tires from the installer then you know who to deal with if there is a problem.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Could someone tell me which tube size to get? I found this.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/203/9021/ITEM/Metzeler-Tube.aspx

I decided on the stock.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/t...e=&catId=&productId=p543054&leafCatId=&mmyId=
The sizing info on this page says it will support Bonneville 2002-06. My bike is 2001?
The manual says 130/80 the website says 130/80H don't know if that's a problem.
Look here - all that stuff is explained:
http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/motorcycle/how_to/mc_tires.html

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
The rear stock size is 130/80-17, so that size inner tube should be right if you buy the same size tire.

·
30,533 Posts
Hell I'm glad you told me that! I'm about to splurge on a new pair of tires for the Ninja, and pretty soon for the Bonneville!

Thanks man! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
Any tube that is the correct size should be compatible. It looks like the one you picked is sized for 100/90, among others.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts