Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Team:

As I mentioned on my previous post:

http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-m...mph-dealer-in-katy-tx-any-input-comments.html

The fuel connectors linking each of the feed and return fuel hoses to the fuel pump mounting plate got fractured and a little amount of gasoline start leaking. The gasoline got in top of the water pump cover and the cover start leaking water on the top side. (I guess the fuel damage the gasket).That's the way I found the gasoline leak..!!!!

Anyway..I was planning to take it to the stealership to perform the replacement of the fuel fittings fix under the recall issued by TRIUMPH (Recall ID #: 47391) but today in the afternoon after some beers I removed the rear body to take a better look to the fittings. I started touching them to be sure they were all the way in and suddenly the gasoline leak got bigger..!!! Start freaking out and got a hose and container and syphoned all the gasoline in
the fuel tank (it was full and got some in my mouth..!!! still burping with gasoline odor...). Once I was able to control the leak I start to inspect the fuel fittings more carefully and found that they are already the metallic ones..!! Check out in the picture below:

Are this the ones that TRIUMPH dealerships are supposed to replace..?? I'm thinking that maybe the previous owner replaced them on his own because according to the TRIUMPH website my VIN has pending recalls.

Anyway I went ahead and remove the fuel tank and this the way they look:

Female fittings in the tank:

I left some gasoline in the tank and turn it down on the side of the fittings but no gasoline is leaking.

Could the metallic male fittings be bad..??

Thank you very much for all the input and suggestions..!!!

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
It looks like your bike has already had the recall done. The male connectors were originally made of white plastic just like the female side and were fracturing fairly regularly, hence the recall.

I missed the recall on my 03 Tiger due to a clerical error and got stranded 500 km from home with the bike p!ssing petrol all over a hot engine when mine snapped! The local dealer (Bundaberg m/cycles) refused to do the recall mod, as he was too busy, despite the fact I was stranded a day away from home and my bike was parked outside his workshopshop with the side casing and the old connectors already removed. The git wouldn`t even give me the parts, claiming the free recall could only be done by a qualified Triumph mechanic, so I had to BUY the parts off him, $45 Aus and fit them myself, outside of his shop. A 2 min job that he refused to help me with. What a prize Tosser!

Anyway, I digress. The new male connectors he sold me were anodised metal, in 2 different colours, just like the ones in your pic. They ARE under stress, which is why the plastic ones used to snap and they have been on your bike for at least 4 years, minimum. So if I had to make a guess I`d say your bike HAS had the recall and you`re going to have to pay for this one yourself.

Your dealer can tell if your bike has had any recalls done by checking your vin number, if it has and you need to buy the connectors they are cheap enough.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The metal male connectors look like the ones on my bike that were replaced and unless there is something wrong with one of the o-rings they should be fine. The female plastic fittings are the ones that need replaced but they are not covered under warranty. Do a search for fuel connectors and you should find some part numbers. I got metal ones from www.mcmaster.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts