Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question about T140J (Jubilee) Fuel tank

I love this fuel tank design, and would love to find one for a project. Of course the jubilees are hard to come by- so I wonder if this style of tank was used on any other bikes/years but the T140J.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
The tank is standard UK & Europe T140 (home market in triumph terms) Do a search on google.co.uk and I'm sure you could find one.

Webby

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
tiltrite
Be aware there are 3 versions of the UK tank.
The first was introduced in late '71 and had a mulitpiece chrome trim strip on the center tank ridge like the US versions. In fact the US/UK tank trim pieces interchange except for one strip.
In late 72 for the '73 models the tank was changed by deleteing the chrome strips. In other word the tank top was now smooth. On both these tanks the petcocks were located at the rear of the tank
Starting sometime in '77 the tank was again changed by moving the petcock locations forward as shown in the picture you posted. The earliest bike I have seen this tank was on a '77 TR7. I believe the last change was caused by the new sidecovers introduced with the Jubilee model which is shown in the '78 parts book. Also if you obtain one of these tanks you MUST USE the UK seat which has a different nose from the US model. Failure to use the UK seat WILL result in stress cracks in your UK tank.
I have a '73 UK tank on my '78 T140V and use a '82 UK seat it is worth the change.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks much, Kadutz. Very informative! I'll be looking for a 77-78 UK tank and seat.

I've been searching around; on ebay uk included as recommended. Not so common, these.

Fortunately for me, the search is part of the fun.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Try www.grintriumph.com, http://triumphbonneville.com, www.triumph-spares.co.uk, www.jhmotorcycles.co.uk, www.tri-corengland.com, www.tms-motorcycles.co.uk or http://suprememotorcycles.co.uk/

None have the tanks listed on their websites, however I'm sure if you send them a mail or give them a call one of them will be able to find one for you. I use Supreme Motorcycles for most of my stuff and find them very good to deal with, I've also used TMS a few times and they are also very good.

Good luck with your search

Webby

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
before you purchase a tank from outside the states check on the shipping cost.
Since I dont know what bike you have my comment is this.

1 be sure where the petcocks are located go for the tank that has petcocks as shown in your picture. This tank was used from VERY late '77 thru '81.

2 as far as a seat any UK seat from '73 up will work. If you can grab a 82 UK ES seat do so it is very comfy.

I got my '72 tank with a bike I purchased in '78, aquired my 73 T140 and 78 TR7 tanks at local swap meets, and got my NOS UK Jubliee tank by accident while looking for parts for my '70 TR6

jus my pinion

K

1 - 9 of 9 Posts