Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I have bought a 904-cc kit from TTP and the compression that kit delivers is 12:1.
I have also sent my cylinder head for some headwork (Not to TTP just to make that clear). Porting + 2mm bigger intake and exhaust valves.

For some reason the company that does the headwork also shaved 1mm of the head for more comp. (I did not order this)
It´s a well known company and they have good instructions regarding how to change the timing of the cams and so on to make it work with the shaved head.

I haven´t gotten the head back yet, but I´m starting to get a bad feeling about this shaved head.
I will have 12:1 comp already with the 904-kit, what will I end up with after the shaved head. 12.5:1 or 13:1 or more? Can the bike handle that?
Will the shaved head cause any other problems? I have hotter CAMs (813-grind), will that work?

The parts that I will install on my Triumph Scrambler 2006.
TTP 904-cc kit 12:1 comp
Headwork: Porting +2mm intake and exhaust valves, 1mm shaved head
FCR 39 Carbs
TTP Firestarter igniter (Stage 4)
Tec tracker 2-1 Exhaust.

Any input regarding this is very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Martin

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
@PieMan aka Mike at TTP will be able to tell you for sure!

Tim

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@PieMan aka Mike at TTP will be able to tell you for sure!

Tim
Yes, I´m in contact with mike through email but I wanted to put the question out here as well.
Anyway, I got a reply from Mike, not an answer that I was hoping for, but one that I was afraid of.

It looks like I have to buy a second bike if I want to ride anytime soon :(

/Martin

·
Registered
10,397 Posts
Tell us what the answer from TTP was.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Seems to me you can put a thicker cylinder base gasket to restore your piston to head clearance.
Correct. Take a fresh base gasket to a laser cutting machine shop and use it as a template and have one cut out of 1mm copper. Job done!

~'05 Thruxton~Sport Evolution 1100cc~FCR 39mm~813 cams~shim-under-bucket~+1.5mm valves~45mm headers~Ignitech CDI~m-Lock~m-Unit~Acewell CA85~F3 Frankenfork~Hagon Nitros~6-piston Pretech~520 chain~wide 17" rims~sticky rubber~

·
Registered
146 Posts
Correct. Take a fresh base gasket to a laser cutting machine shop and use it as a template and have one cut out of 1mm copper. Job done!

~'05 Thruxton~Sport Evolution 1100cc~FCR 39mm~813 cams~shim-under-bucket~+1.5mm valves~45mm headers~Ignitech CDI~m-Lock~m-Unit~Acewell CA85~F3 Frankenfork~Hagon Nitros~6-piston Pretech~520 chain~wide 17" rims~sticky rubber~
Those morons who shaved his cylinder head should pay for it ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those morons who shaved his cylinder head should pay for it ?
The cylinder head is still in the shop, I´m trying to get to a solution where they keep my head and fix a replacement head that they can redo the work on, but correct this time.
My head should be perfectly fine for them to sell to someone that doesn´t use the high-comp 904-kit that I have.

In the meantime I bought a Honda XR650R -03 with extra everything already mounted (Full exhaust, new carb, excel rims, beringer brakes+discs + more), will get that bike tomorrow :)
My guess is that the scrambler will not be ready in a couple of months and I have to have a bike now as spring is here in Sweden now!

/Martin

·
Registered
146 Posts
The cylinder head is still in the shop, I´m trying to get to a solution where they keep my head and fix a replacement head that they can redo the work on, but correct this time.
My head should be perfectly fine for them to sell to someone that doesn´t use the high-comp 904-kit that I have.

In the meantime I bought a Honda XR650R -03 with extra everything already mounted (Full exhaust, new carb, excel rims, beringer brakes+discs + more), will get that bike tomorrow :)
My guess is that the scrambler will not be ready in a couple of months and I have to have a bike now as spring is here in Sweden now!

/Martin
Yes riding season is officially open! Yay for us! ? Pm me which shop did this so i can avoid them if you like. Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts