Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speedometer light bulb just went out what kind of replacement bulb do I need
for my 2001 Bonneville? Do I need to remove the whole speedometer or just the back cover to replace the bulb? Can I buy the bulb at any hardware store?

thanks

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You don't have to remove the speedo which requires removing the harness from inside the headlight. You need to remove the four bolts that hold the cluster to the bike which allows rotating the cluster upward. May even help to remove the speedo cable and then remove the plastic lower speedo cover.
There are two lights in there. A suggestion if changing these lights is upgrade to LED's. My personal preference is a blue back lighting. I believe Marty has done this and others. I have mine apart for cluster LED's and below is a picture of how the speedo/tach looks underneath for light replacement. Again...cluster doesn't have to come off the bike to change either tach or speedo lighting.
If buying replacement bulbs...go LED...far superior in longevity and illumination and you can pick the color you like.
Cheers,
George

Attachments

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
Nagibe, now that I have LEDs in there, I'll mail you the light bulbs, but the colored LEDs look cool if you want to consider that, or you can put in white LEDs too for more white light. Send me a PM with your address if you want the light bulbs.

George didn't mention it, but the light sockets pull out of the gauges. Just pull out, replace the bulb, test it, and push it back in.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I am going to follow Marty's lead on this and go blue for my speedo and tach to supplement the brighter LED cluster lights. I love the look of the blue. I will add a write up for this in terms of what LED's to order like the cluster DIY. Will be a while but that is the plan. Swapping these should only take an hour or so...as you don't have to pull the clocks off the bike...only raise them up and disconnect the speedo cable and drop the lower covers down. The cluster LED DIY is more involved if changing the turn signal indicator which is the reason why to do it IMHO.

Thanks to Marty aka Baltobonneville for his coaching on this,
George

Here is a picture of his clocks:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Newbonneville has it in stock for about $20. I'll probably get them in Red but I just have the speedo not the tach it would work right? I don't need to mess with the turn signals so changing them sounds easy. Thanks man.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
It depends which light(s) is burned out. The speedo has one big and one smaller lamp. The tach has two bigger lamps.
If your speedo is completely dark, you likely need a big and a small lamp.
HTH,
George

·
Registered
66 Posts
A quick follow-up for posterity on this one...

I changed the bulbs on my Thrux using the LEDs from newbonneville.com. They work & look great.

However, note that LEDs are polarized; that is, they only light when current is flowing in the right direction across them. If you install them 'backwards,' they won't light. Just flipping them around in the socket resolves this.

So, once you have the cluster apart and install the bulbs, make sure they light before putting everything back together, just in case you have to flip an LED or two. It'll save you from taking things apart again. And the allen-headed bolts holding the gauge cluster on are rather soft - wrench carefully!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts