Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I confess I'm not the most electrical stuff inclined guy this side of the screen.

The battery I have on the triple has printed the recharging procedure: "1.2A for 5 to 10 Hours".

Being the smart @ss I am, I bought a charger *before* I had a chance to read that. My charger charges (eh!) at 2.1A.

Am I going to get in trouble? Will my battery have a painful short-lived life and a gruesome death? Should I be dragged screaming to the street and tarred and feathered? Should I buy garlic and bread on my way home tonight?

:confused:

·
Registered
191 Posts
need to know a little more about the charger you bought. Nice chargers will regulate the input current and the listed is the maximum. cheaper chargers give it everything theyve got. Using an amperage 2x the recommended (which should be NO MORE than 1/6 the total ah rating) will not shorten the life of the battery as much as it can destroy the battery in the first charge. The excess amperage will cause the battery to heat up, and the water and acid will try to expand. The battery is sealed so there is no where fore the pressure to escape to. KABOOMMM!!!! Exploding battery. Ive seen this happen in an industrial environment. Not much fire, but you get water and battery acid everywhere! Very messy:p

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it may be time to get a Battery Tender.
+1

they come with leads you secure to the battery. and you can run it out from under the seat or side panel. and then all you do is hook up the connector after each ride plug it in and forget it till your next ride.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This battery tender... do you mean I don't even have to remove the battery from the bike in order to give the battery some TLC?

That would be great!!!

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
My BT Jr has a set of wires (one off each post) that merge into one two-lead wire that runs down to wherever you want it to go. I zip tied the lead wire to a convenient out-of-the-way spot and plug the battery in through the ends. Great setup, simple install. Worth every centime.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh dear.
There seems to exist far too many models of battery tenders to let my poor tired brain make a wise choice.

Instead of me going to try and guess, could you guys point me in the general direction of the model that better suits our triple's battery tendering needs?

Signed: Lazy Bastard

:D

·
Registered
613 Posts
This is not a stupid answer. Seeing as how you already bought the charger, why not just charge the battery for 3 hours or so at 2.1amp? It won't hurt it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
This is not a stupid answer. Seeing as how you already bought the charger, why not just charge the battery for 3 hours or so at 2.1amp? It won't hurt it.
Well, how about 10A for 1hr? or 30A for 20 min?:D
Seriously, you cannot do it because this will cook and explode battery. You cannot just raise amperage and shorten time, there is physics and chemistry involved. Process generates heat and must be kept at level that allows safe dissipation without boiling battery (especially sealed type as we have).

·
Registered
677 Posts
Battery Tender

All I know is that I started using them since they first came out seems like around 20 years ago and never had a problem with them. I have been using one on my W650 since 2002 and it still works with the original battery. Get one and keep it plugged in when your not riding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts