Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After working on my bike, I like to loctite nuts and bolts when I do them back up, especially calipers etc.

My question is: As I like to check my nuts and bolts are tight before I embark on a 1300 mile trip, should I remove the nuts and bolts and put fresh loctite on them before torquing up or can I re-torque my nuts and bolts in situ that have previously been 'loctited'. I am not sure if you are effectively cracking the loctite seal by doing this.

thanks in advance for any help on this

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
If you loosen them up, they will need fresh loctite. If you put loctite on them, I don't think I'd even bother to check (providing they were torqued to the correct values to begin with).

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Loctite

After the bolts are torqued, I apply a small index line with a fine paint brush. A quick visual check can reveal if the torque has changed

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
After the bolts are torqued, I apply a small index line with a fine paint brush. A quick visual check can reveal if the torque has changed
In the aircraft world, this is done all the time. They use a product called Torque Seal available in a wide variety of colors. You put the "paint" across the edge of the bolt, washer, and mating surface (an index line). If the bolt moves, the Torques seal "breaks" and you can see it immediately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts