Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forum - and to Triumph. In fact, I don't even have my bike yet. I put down a deposit and it's supposedly on the boat coming from Britain as we speak, so I think I'll have it in a week or two. I'm also a pretty novice rider. Although i've had 3 motorcycles before - 2 '81 Suzuki GS550s and a '80 Honda CB750, I rose them for a total of a month combined. They were big time projects. I've also tried my friend's bikes of the same type and his Ducati 748.

I'm very excited to get my Bonne, and have given my choice a hell of a lot of thought over the last few years - it's been 5 years since I've had a bike. I think the SE is the perfect bike for me.

My question is about preventing exaust bluing and coppering discoloration. Although I don't think it's a really big deal and it seems it may be unavoidable, I've read about ways to treat it - that's what lead me to this forum in the first place. I can't find the Dyno Kote kit for sale anywhere, but the Kreem Blue Shield seems readily available. As my bike hasn't even been delivered to the dealer yet, I asked them if they could treat the inside of the pipes with Blue Shield prior to my use. The dealer told me that he wouldn't recommend it because the exhaust system is designed to transfer some of the heat across the chrome all the way to the end of the mufflers. If they were treated, he said, less heat would be able to dissipate on the exhuast gas path through the pipes, and this would be a problem. I assume he was talking about a problem for the engine, that maybe the increased heat within the pipes would give more back pressure to the engine or something. At least that was my assumption. I'd like to do this but won't unless I hear substantial advice to the contrary (that the treatment is OK).

The dealer instead told me that they treat bluing effectively after the fact externally, but of course that causes some satinization (is that a word?) and doesn't do anything about coppering color.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, like I said I had originally done a Google search for Triumph or bluing or something which lead me to a thread on thsi forum, but now that I've started this thread and I see the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of the page, I see that this is an issue that has been dealt with extensively.

The info on products and techniques to get rid of bluing seem very helpful, but I guess I'd still like to know if pre-treating the inside of the pipes with Blue Shield (or some other product or ceramic coating) will harm my bike in any way.

I'd also be interested to know if the 2009 fuel injection may affect this issue for better or worse.

Last, for those who recommend removing the AI, is there an aftermarket part you'd recommend replacing it with?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
You'll probably see very little bluing if you leave the bike stock.

Once you start tinkering (like AI removal) you will increase chances and extent of bluing.

If you are really worried about it, then just leave the bike stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll probably see very little bluing if you leave the bike stock.

Once you start tinkering (like AI removal) you will increase chances and extent of bluing.

If you are really worried about it, then just leave the bike stock.

Thanks BigAl. That's interesting about AI removal. It seems many others have written the exact opposite - that AI removal will slow or stop bluing. However, your claim makes more sense to me. I do plan on leaving the bike stock for a while except for maybe a couple of minor cosmetic changes.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I do plan on leaving the bike stock for a while except for maybe a couple of minor cosmetic changes.
Ahhh, that's what they all say. Most stock Bonnevilles are on the showroom floor. :D
But the bluing...think I've read that the efi models are less prone to it, and the SE has double wall pipes which really takes care of it. But AI removal, at least on the earlier models, apparently keeps the motor cooler at idle, and heat is the cause of the bluing. I do not know upon what BigAl bases his assertion, but it is contrary to everything I've ever read.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Bluing

If you want to stop the bluing...get rid of the AI ASAP and get the "lean" factory tuning addressed right away when you get the bike......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhh, that's what they all say. Most stock Bonnevilles are on the showroom floor. :D
But the bluing...think I've read that the efi models are less prone to it, and the SE has double wall pipes which really takes care of it. But AI removal, at least on the earlier models, apparently keeps the motor cooler at idle, and heat is the cause of the bluing. I do not know upon what BigAl bases his assertion, but it is contrary to everything I've ever read.

Thanks a lot. That's interesting to hear that the '09 SE has double walled pipes. Not that I don't believe you, but how do you find out stuff like that?

·
Registered
63 Posts
As a side note...I really like the blueing.

A lady came up to me the other day and said "mmm nice blue pipes, you must be working your bike hard". Made my day. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts