Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,

Well, we are still settling in here in sunny Queensland and so far loving it! Going for a drive to the Sunny Coast tomorrow, yep, thats right, in the car :(

I haven't had a chance to get out for a decent ride yet but I have observed something - a great majority of riders here wear no protective clothing whatsoever, except for a helmet of course.

Everyone gets around in shorts and tee shirts and yes, thongs.

Its not just the guys pottering around town, I've seen people out on the motorways dressed in shorts, presumably on their way to work!

Anyway, looking forward to catching up with my fellow Queenslander Triumph rats out on the road, I am ready for a big day out and soon!

Cheers,

Roden

·
Premium Member
24,302 Posts
HI Roden,
glad you are settling in ok.

You will find the serious type riders that ride early in the mornings in the mountains are usually in full leathers what ever the temperature is and we get very high humidity once it gets up around the mid thirties.

Cheers,
DaveM

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi Roden, i see the same thing up in Darwin all the time. Over the last 2 years the amount of riders has increased incredibly and most of them ride with T-shirts and shorts or jeans and Ts. They all think its cool to show their brown skin and muscles but won't think its too cool as they are sliding down the road.The heat up here gets pretty unbearable but i always wear all the gear, all the time.You get some pretty strange looks from some folks and all my non-riding friends ask me why i bother to suit up. I tell em that i love my skin more than being a bit warm.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I've noticed the same thing whenever I've been in our northern regions. I find very funny that I'm the one that gets funny looks and comments for being in protective clothing.

I've also noticed that its a growing trend in Sydney town, especially amongst the race rep riding crowd.

Google "Road Rash Queen" for a story on just how unforgiving warm bitumen can be.

Brett.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Roden, i see the same thing up in Darwin all the time.
Ha.... lived in Darwin for 30 years... my one and only 'off' on the bitumen was in Darwin and I was wearing a singlet, shorts & running shoes. Standard Darwin attire really.

The best part was fronting up to a very wet motocross the next day. Nylons & jersey stuck fast to the weeping gravel rash that covered the entire right hand side of my body. OUCH!!! :eek::eek:

Lesson learned...

Muz

·
Registered
16 Posts
you just can't tell some people

you just can't tell some people, they have to learn the hard way!

I always wear protective gear (mininum is helmet, boots, vest and gloves)

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Hi Roden, Even my 3 boys think that "they" are eejiots!! Teach them young IMO. :D

ATGATT here. Look forward to catching up. We are heading up the mountain on Friday a.m. Are you interested?

Welcome to the forum Davecar :)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Roden, Even my 3 boys think that "they" are eejiots!! Teach them young IMO. :D

ATGATT here. Look forward to catching up. We are heading up the mountain on Friday a.m. Are you interested?

Welcome to the forum Davecar :)
Friday am could work for me depending on what the week brings. I'll let you know by Thursday. What mountain would we be heading up?

G'day Davecar and welcome. Thats three of us now within a stones throw of each other!

I see your "other motorcycle" is a Sporty, whats your main ride?

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Does that mean you could start your own cult or something???
I'll get my Pagan worshipping stuff ready !:D

Roden - Mt Glorious up to Miaila for morning tea and then back down. I'll leave my place at about 8.30 or so. Back for lunch :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
the HD is my current bike that is up for sale, but I am going to buy an ST 2002 or younger once I sell the HD. So if you know anyone interested pass them on my details (Dave 38142797) It is a 2001 XLH 1200 Sportster with custom seat, forward controls, Buell cams, Dyna 200i ignition, match ported inlet manifold/heads, over size valves, major reshaped ports, etc, etc she pumps out 81HP and 84TQ, it produces 71TQ at 2500RPM and keeps climbing (torque monster) asking $13,500 for a quick sale

Friday am could work for me depending on what the week brings. I'll let you know by Thursday. What mountain would we be heading up?

G'day Davecar and welcome. Thats three of us now within a stones throw of each other!

I see your "other motorcycle" is a Sporty, whats your main ride?

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice ride Davecar. I had a 2000 Sportster Sport, the twin plug model, hot cams etc, etc. It was a ton of fun, torque is addictive. As bizarre as it might sound, the Triumph reminds me in some ways of the Sporty with the fat torque curve, crack it open in any gear and hang on! The Sporty ran out of legs though when the Sprint is right in its stride and of course the Sporty vibrated like no tomorrow!

There is a Silver '03 Sprint on ebay, $6,500 buy it now price. Looks alright too. I think its near the Gold Coast somewhere.

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Roden, the "hand brake" will go ballistic if I buy before I sell my Sporty, the thing is I test rode an ST at Moss st and now I just can't wait to get one. So as soon as the sporty sells I will be hunting for an ST

Nice ride Davecar. I had a 2000 Sportster Sport, the twin plug model, hot cams etc, etc. It was a ton of fun, torque is addictive. As bizarre as it might sound, the Triumph reminds me in some ways of the Sporty with the fat torque curve, crack it open in any gear and hang on! The Sporty ran out of legs though when the Sprint is right in its stride and of course the Sporty vibrated like no tomorrow!

There is a Silver '03 Sprint on ebay, $6,500 buy it now price. Looks alright too. I think its near the Gold Coast somewhere.

Cheers,

Roden

1 - 13 of 13 Posts