Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Quadlock cases and attachments when I got my Street Triple RS last year but held back as there was talk of them buggering the image stabiliser in the iPhone and Face ID not working due to vibration. I notice now that you can get the anti vibration adaptor so will get one.

Does anyone here have one, as I'm wondering whether it's better to go for the bar mount or the fork stem mount? I'd probably prefer it was central but not at the expense of it obscuring the TFT at all. Opinions welcome....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have one I’ve placed on the bars. I think it’s better cause it doesn’t obstruct the dash. I guess it depends one handle bar as well. I don’t have vibration thingie to be honest. It seems to be really big. But do you need the phone mounted every day? I mean I used the mount like three times since I know the city well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one I’ve placed on the bars. I think it’s better cause it doesn’t obstruct the dash. I guess it depends one handle bar as well. I don’t have vibration thingie to be honest. It seems to be really big. But do you need the phone mounted every day? I mean I used the mount like three times since I know the city well.
It's not so much for the nav - I have the bluetooth module if I need it. I do however listen to music when I ride (again controlled through the bluetooth mod with the handlebar switchgear) Although I wouldn't mess around with the phone while riding, it'd be easier to operate than de-glove to get the phone out of my Dainese jacket pocket to start a new playlist etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's not so much for the nav - I have the bluetooth module if I need it. I do however listen to music when I ride (again controlled through the bluetooth mod with the handlebar switchgear) Although I wouldn't mess around with the phone while riding, it'd be easier to operate than de-glove to get the phone out of my Dainese jacket pocket to start a new playlist etc.
If you have the bluetooth then I guess you don't need the mount. Since you can see the song on the dash right?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have the bluetooth then I guess you don't need the mount. Since you can see the song on the dash right?
Yeah, but take yesterdays brief outing as an example. I set off only to realise that I'd forgotten to select some music first. If the Bluetooth module were any good and had Apple CarPlay I could just select something using the bikes switches. Instead when I hit play, I've only got one track in the queue from the last time I listened to something on the phone, so I can only play that one track again and again. I need to go into the music app directly on the phone and cue up a playlist/artist/album. Once that's done I can use the switches to navigate track forward, backward and volume control.

Part of the issue is that to use the switchgear on the bike - the phone is paired with the bikes module and the bikes module is paired with the headset. That's the only way and it means that "Hey Siri" won't work and neither will the headsets own "Hey Cardo". I could pair the phone directly with the headset and then use Siri to play music but then I'd have to use only voice control - the switchgear wouldn't work for telephone, nav or music. Hardly ideal, but on the flip side I think I'm one of the few (reading through the forums) that has managed to get an iPhone working correctly with the module.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, but take yesterdays brief outing as an example. I set off only to realise that I'd forgotten to select some music first. If the Bluetooth module were any good and had Apple CarPlay I could just select something using the bikes switches. Instead when I hit play, I've only got one track in the queue from the last time I listened to something on the phone, so I can only play that one track again and again. I need to go into the music app directly on the phone and cue up a playlist/artist/album. Once that's done I can use the switches to navigate track forward, backward and volume control.

Part of the issue is that to use the switchgear on the bike - the phone is paired with the bikes module and the bikes module is paired with the headset. That's the only way and it means that "Hey Siri" won't work and neither will the headsets own "Hey Cardo". I could pair the phone directly with the headset and then use Siri to play music but then I'd have to use only voice control - the switchgear wouldn't work for telephone, nav or music. Hardly ideal, but on the flip side I think I'm one of the few (reading through the forums) that has managed to get an iPhone working correctly with the module.
Oh I didn't know that... Thanks for the info cause I was somewhat considering the module.... But then again, I don't want music on a bike while I ride. I'm new to riding and maybe this has something to do with it... but I find that it might take away from my concentration. But anyway thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I didn't know that... Thanks for the info cause I was somewhat considering the module.... But then again, I don't want music on a bike while I ride. I'm new to riding and maybe this has something to do with it... but I find that it might take away from my concentration. But anyway thanks again for the info.
It is handy when you receive a call even if you pull over to deal with it. The bluetooth module is like a router and it's designed that way so that it can handle multiple connections. You pair everything to the bike - your phone is paired twice, once as a phone, once as a nav. You pair your headset to the bike (not to the phone) and can also pair a GoPro to the bike or maybe a separate nav. The bike can then deal with those connections, the switchgear can be used and you could use either the inbuilt nav or your phones and still get the audio.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the quadlock bar-mounted with anti-vibe on my triple and scrambler 1200 xc. I like them though I am sure I will tweak the location and angle as I ride both. There are extra knuckles you can use to get a better angle etc. I have thought of trying the fork stem mount but probably won't have to. I have a universal mount and so I can't use wireless charging so I am running a usb cable up to the bar area. One of the reasons I got a bar mount for my phone is not only for navigation, calls, music etc, but because I hate before and after riding, having to reach into my pocket to take my phone out or put it back in my pocket, especially with motorcycle gloves. I like that it's just there right in front of me at all times.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the quadlock bar-mounted with anti-vibe on my triple and scrambler 1200 xc. I like them though I am sure I will tweak the location and angle as I ride both. There are extra knuckles you can use to get a better angle etc. I have thought of trying the fork stem mount but probably won't have to. I have a universal mount and so I can't use wireless charging so I am running a usb cable up to the bar area. One of the reasons I got a bar mount for my phone is not only for navigation, calls, music etc, but because I hate before and after riding, having to reach into my pocket to take my phone out or put it back in my pocket, especially with motorcycle gloves. I like that it's just there right in front of me at all times.
That's exactly why I want one. I used to use a bum bag when I wore 1 piece leathers, but now I just wear riding jeans and jacket. It's awkward to get it back out of the breast pocket with/without gloves. I've just ordered the bar mount. I could do with running a USB but not sure how to route it from back to front.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have it mounted on the bars, on the left side next to the clutch lever clamp. It's been a great product and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's exactly why I want one. I used to use a bum bag when I wore 1 piece leathers, but now I just wear riding jeans and jacket. It's awkward to get it back out of the breast pocket with/without gloves. I've just ordered the bar mount. I could do with running a USB but not sure how to route it from back to front.
I have a Quad-lock STEM MOUNT which works perfectly on the RS my guy...

It doesn't obstruct the dash at all and you actually get less vibration from the Stem mount as its on the centre line of the bike and not subject to vibration or flex through of the bars.
I know this as I used to have the Quad-lock bar mount, I got the Stem mount as a Xmas present last year ¯\(ツ)

& while ridinig...

Either way they are the BEST phone mounts on the market.
Zero complaints!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Quad-lock STEM MOUNT which works perfectly on the RS my guy...

It doesn't obstruct the dash at all and you actually get less vibration from the Stem mount as its on the centre line of the bike and not subject to vibration or flex through of the bars.
I know this as I used to have the Quad-lock bar mount, I got the Stem mount as a Xmas present last year ¯\(ツ)

& while ridinig...

Either way they are the BEST phone mounts on the market.
Zero complaints!
So do you have the anti vibration adaptor on yours or any other adapters (adjustable knuckle)? Also if it doesn’t block the TFT does it get in the way of the key IE do you have clip phone in mount after starting engine and remove the phone before removing the key? Thanks. I might still be able to e mail support and change my order....

·
Registered
70 Posts
So do you have the anti vibration adaptor on yours or any other adapters (adjustable knuckle)? Also if it doesn’t block the TFT does it get in the way of the key IE do you have clip phone in mount after starting engine and remove the phone before removing the key? Thanks. I might still be able to e mail support and change my order....
It doesn't block anything bro. Key / Dash everything is fine. (Adjustable knuckle) for pitch comes with both mount I believe.

No vibration adaptor, although I have recently installed the Weatherproof Wireless Charging Head. Plugs directly into USB port under pillion seat on the RS.
The standard 1.5m power cable it comes with reaches the USB just fine, install is like 15min.

Using Sat Nav eats my phone battery... So Wireless charging is a God send lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It doesn't block anything bro. Key / Dash everything is fine. (Adjustable knuckle) for pitch comes with both mount I believe.

No vibration adaptor, although I have recently installed the Weatherproof Wireless Charging Head. Plugs directly into USB port under pillion seat on the RS.
The standard 1.5m power cable it comes with reaches the USB just fine, install is like 15min.

Using Sat Nav eats my phone battery... So Wireless charging is a God send lol.
Cool thanks. It turns out I couldn't change the order so I'll use the bar mount for now. I'll see how I get on with it and maybe swap to the stem mount and wireless charging head at a later date.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cool thanks. It turns out I couldn't change the order so I'll use the bar mount for now. I'll see how I get on with it and maybe swap to the stem mount and wireless charging head at a later date.
Ain't no big deal my guy, bar mount works just fine.
Can't go wrong with Quad-lock...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I know you already ordered, but for others in the future: My opinion is that the ball mount quad lock is the most flexible one to get as you can just find a 1" ball mounts for the stem, handlebar, or whatever for cheap and have a variety to choose from.

For example, I already use the ram xgrip on my Street Triple. On my Triple I use the Ram handlebar clamp bolt mount: https://amzn.to/39MULyt

For my RS660, I I ordered the ball mount quad lock and I am getting this stem mount ball attachment for the RS660: https://amzn.to/3uGhWTh

So I am not stuck with one kind of mount or another and can swap between the two bikes if I'd like.

Also, as far as I could tell the quadlock stem mount does not rotate as much as an equivalent stem ball mount and socket and appears limited to one direction (I could be wrong).

My two cents.

Reactions: JB1970

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
So I've got the stem mount now AND the wireless charging head. Was hard enough to fit the stem mount - I didn't realise I'd need to take the bars off to drop it in. Anyway that was least of my problems - how on earth do I route the cable - any tips?. The wiring loom just disappears and I don't know where to start - left side or right side and what has to be removed to conceal it.

EDIT: Sorted it finally. Had to lift the tank and follow the existing loom down the left side tucked behind the frame. The supplied 1.5m cable is too short - to make it long enough I'd have had to take the wire straight down underneath the tank rather than following the rest of the wiring from the bars. Instead I've unplugged the USB socket from the loom and relocated the socket under the main seat behind just behind the battery for now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So I've got the stem mount now AND the wireless charging head. Was hard enough to fit the stem mount - I didn't realise I'd need to take the bars off to drop it in. Anyway that was least of my problems - how on earth do I route the cable - any tips?. The wiring loom just disappears and I don't know where to start - left side or right side and what has to be removed to conceal it.

EDIT: Sorted it finally. Had to lift the tank and follow the existing loom down the left side tucked behind the frame. The supplied 1.5m cable is too short - to make it long enough I'd have had to take the wire straight down underneath the tank rather than following the rest of the wiring from the bars. Instead I've unplugged the USB socket from the loom and relocated the socket under the main seat behind just behind the battery for now.
Oh mate my bad, I would have advised you on the best approach for the stem mount install if I new you were going to get one so soon. :oops: :whistle:
You didn't need to remove the bars bro, you 'could' have shaved off 1-2mm of material from the base of the stem mount which would have given you clearance needed without bar removal... moot point now but good effort cause fuk taking the bars off lol...

The 1.5m cable is long enough if you run it along the right side of the bike (Same side as the usb port) and just tuck it down between the air filter & frame with the other wires. YES... Its is tight... but you only need enough cable length to the bars & not to snag anywhere when you turn the bars full lock in either direction. I used a cable tie near the front brake cables to ensure it never slips & then snags as I am riding...

Again, If I new you were going to get this set up this quickly lol... I would have made you a quick install video an put it on the youtubez for ya.

That said, if you now have it all installed & are happy then well done mate...
A bit of a pain I know but a good days work & I bet you feel a great sense of accomplishment for taking the time to figure it all out yourself. :p(y)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh mate my bad, I would have advised you on the best approach for the stem mount install if I new you were going to get one so soon. :oops: :whistle:
You didn't need to remove the bars bro, you 'could' have shaved off 1-2mm of material from the base of the stem mount which would have given you clearance needed without bar removal... moot point now but good effort cause fuk taking the bars off lol...

The 1.5m cable is long enough if you run it along the right side of the bike (Same side as the usb port) and just tuck it down between the air filter & frame with the other wires. YES... Its is tight... but you only need enough cable length to the bars & not to snag anywhere when you turn the bars full lock in either direction. I used a cable tie near the front brake cables to ensure it never slips & then snags as I am riding...

Again, If I new you were going to get this set up this quickly lol... I would have made you a quick install video an put it on the youtubez for ya.

That said, if you now have it all installed & are happy then well done mate...
A bit of a pain I know but a good days work & I bet you feel a great sense of accomplishment for taking the time to figure it all out yourself. :p(y)
No problem - a steep learning curve! As I get older, I'm not as happy messing around as much - not sure why. As an example my first bike (new ZX6R back in 2001) - with no YouTube or bike/car mechanical experience at all, I was happy to whip off a set of seized 6 pot calipers, strip them down completely, clean all the pots and seals, and refit them with new braided hoses. Yesterday sticking the phone mount on was a stress :LOL:

Glad I took the bars off though. I think that milling off a bit of the stem would lead to the finish of the mount corroding over a time. It also gave me a chance to adjust the height of the bars a bit to suit (which I saw on a Dave Moss vid). I think the mount will probably p**s the dealer off as it'll need semi dismantling whenever the bike goes for service to raise the tank....

I took it down the left because I thought it looked a bit neater to hide the cable among the existing ones to the bars - heated grips etc. I had to pop the USB out of its receptacle, unplug it from the loom and move it. When I can be bothered I might just get a 2 metre lead from Amazon and put the USB back where it was to tidy it. Though to be fair the wiring isn't that tidy anyway - I put the Evotech tail tidy on a while back and the indicator loom is way too long and had to be coiled beneath the pillion seat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
No problem - a steep learning curve! As I get older, I'm not as happy messing around as much - not sure why. As an example my first bike (new ZX6R back in 2001) - with no YouTube or bike/car mechanical experience at all, I was happy to whip off a set of seized 6 pot calipers, strip them down completely, clean all the pots and seals, and refit them with new braided hoses. Yesterday sticking the phone mount on was a stress :LOL:

Glad I took the bars off though. I think that milling off a bit of the stem would lead to the finish of the mount corroding over a time. It also gave me a chance to adjust the height of the bars a bit to suit (which I saw on a Dave Moss vid). I think the mount will probably p**s the dealer off as it'll need semi dismantling whenever the bike goes for service to raise the tank....

I took it down the left because I thought it looked a bit neater to hide the cable among the existing ones to the bars - heated grips etc. I had to pop the USB out of its receptacle, unplug it from the loom and move it. When I can be bothered I might just get a 2 metre lead from Amazon and put the USB back where it was to tidy it. Though to be fair the wiring isn't that tidy anyway - I put the Evotech tail tidy on a while back and the indicator loom is way too long and had to be coiled beneath the pillion seat.
Nice mate...

This would also work to give you extra reach an still use the 1.5m cable from Quad-Lock.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts