Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know a bike that's good for a girl who's 5 foot 2? i'm not familiar with smaller bikes and told her it may be better to stick to a scooter. what you guys think?

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Some of the Viragos are very low slung (even the larger ones) Has she tried your Bonnie? With a seat mod that may be OK for her. :)

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Is the person experienced or not will have a great deal to do with the type and size of the bike?

The Bonneville for one, CB400F if you can find one. I got alot of experience with short inseam sizes!:D Most of the smaller big 4 cruisers below 750. Anything is possible with a lowered bike and seat though.

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
My wife is 5'2" and loves her Bonneville.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
She does have a Thruxton style seat on it which may not be as wide, and then there is the inseam issue. Could be an inch or two difference there.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Are you guys drunk? You are recommending the Bonnie which has a seat height of 31.1 inches despite being a smaller framed bike.

At 5'2" what is her inseam? 26 inches? 28 inches? That is where you start. Compare the seat height to her inseem and then reach to bars.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like it's time to go motorcycle shopping with your lady. That should be a fun weekend date!

Take a look at the Buell Blast, too.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
What does SHE want?

Cruiser? Standard? Sport bike? Vintage?

Lots of bikes are built for shorter riders and still more can be easily "lowered" to accommodate the inseam-challenged.

But she has to decide what she wants and how she plans to use it.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Are you guys drunk? You are recommending the Bonnie which has a seat height of 31.1 inches despite being a smaller framed bike.

At 5'2" what is her inseam? 26 inches? 28 inches? That is where you start. Compare the seat height to her inseem and then reach to bars.
No don't drink, but I got a 27" inseam and ride a Thruxton.:eek::D For us small people we like the word "stretch!";)

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
My wife learned on an older Ducati Monster 600. They are cheap, plentiful and reliable, with a seat height of 30 inches but remembering that the seat is narrower than a Bonny, so you reach the floor more easily.

Other bikes we looked at were a BMW F650 CS Scarver. I think this is one of the best 'ladies' bikes available and from a 'tick the box ' perspective, it wins every time. It`s low, has a low CofG is easy to ride but has enough power in reserve to get you out of trouble, if need be. The wife passed on it and opted for the Duke, mainly because of the looks. The Scarver is not a pretty bike!

·
30,173 Posts
There's a little cute girl here at work who's about 5-2, she sat on my Bonnie, and could get her toes down and hold it up OK. It wouldn't be too hard to lower it and make it safe for her - the new ones are going to be an inch lower anyway (that 17" front wheel helping there I reckon), so a spring lowering kit for the forks, shorter rear shocks - it would work well.

Like McQueen says though - figure out exactly what SHE wants first, then adapt it to suit.

A tiger might not be the best choice. :D

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
What does SHE want?

Cruiser? Standard? Sport bike? Vintage?

Lots of bikes are built for shorter riders and still more can be easily "lowered" to accommodate the inseam-challenged.

But she has to decide what she wants and how she plans to use it.
Best post on this thread so far.

:goodpost:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
This is exactly the market that Triumph should be targeting - the smaller rider.

Not touching the ground? Disaster awaits.

If only Triumph produced a 500 or 250.

Until then, go for a 125 or scooter, as was suggested by the original poster.

Even a Vespa has a high seat of around 30 inches.

V important to get your feet grounded.

·
Registered
815 Posts
+1 to Calliway's comment.

And is she a brand-new rider, or had some experience?

Having said that, I'll add that my wife is rather petite. Not quite 5'4" and a lightweight. She wasn't comfortable riding my old Yamaha, and wanted something as low and stable as she could get. Ended up buying a Honda Shadow VLX 600. So far (two years) it has served her very well. She rides it to work for a 40 minute commute, and day long touring rides. She rides it on the interstate, though not much above 75. Beyond that she says the V-twin vibrates a bit too much for long comfort. MPG on our last day long ride about two weeks ago was over 70 mpg.

I never would have considered one; but it turned out to be a good fit for her.

Your lady friend might consider looking at some of the women's biker sites to see the variety other gals are riding. It just has to be a good fit in the end.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
my wife is 5'-3" and I got her a gs250. She has little experience and it has been fine for backroads and in town. It can go 78-80 mph with my 250 lb body on it. Good points are its light (350 lbs.) quick steering and only about 27 hp.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My wife is petite too. She had real problems with her Bonnie when stock. Raised the front fork tubes in the triple tree (as far as they would go without touching the handlebar) and put on 1" under-length Ikon shocks and she could ride without problems.

BUT she just got a Harley Nightster (she still has the Bonnie, but clearly it's become her "second favorite") and she really loves it. Seat height is just a smidge over 25".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts