Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These aren't great pictures but I thought I'd share my progress. It was originally Black. I cleaned up her carbs, new NGK's, douched all of the fluids, replaced all of the filters, new EBC brake pads, New Pirelli Diablos, removed the air cleaner and replaced it with K&N pads, new old tank (old one was destroyed with rust at the bottom of the left seam and dents, cost too much to repair), rebuilt the fuel petcock, new battery, rebuilt the forks, new mirrors (old glass was fogged in one and other was cracked), new turn signals all around, new ignition sensor, new dash light bulbs. I will post more pics as I progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She was laid down, bent and neglected for several years. I still need to find a rear fairing and some slip-ons. Got her on the road today. Here are a couple of more photos. I really like the yellow tank with everything else black. I'd like to know your thoughts.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mottley, not as pretty as yours yet, but I'll get her there. I used a lot of the tips from your site when bringing her to life. Thanks for your site.

Pete

·
Registered
697 Posts
Coming on well, but ditch the pods and put a standard air box back on She'll run much sweeter, and look neater too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got some stock cans, tail piece and a rear brake light switch put on today. Not sure if I'm real keen on the yellow tank with the black tail piece but it's what I've got for right now. Think I'm blowing a little blue smoke out of the right pipe, any ideas? Here's a pic, just got her done! Excited! S3 with tail and cans.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mot, that's a relief! I got her safety inspected today and took her for a ride to break her in a bit. I had to kind of baby her, it seemed. When I really twisted the throttle, she seemed to bog down and go no where. I could hear the sir getting sucked into the pods but no power. My Pop said I need to synch the carbs and she'll be good to go. I don't know if putting on the pods means I now have to rejet. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Get an OEM airbox and filter, or deal with re-tuning for pods. The OEM airbox is really, really good at flowing the right amount of air for the stock carbs. Ain't gonna hurt to synch 'em either, but ditching the pods is the easy answer.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you keep the pods you will need to rejet them for your pods and whatever exhaust you have on there (assuming your exhaust is not stock). From the pics it appears you have Keihin carbs. They are a bit easier to tune to pods than the Mikunis, but like Kit said you won't gain much. Expect 5 or so HP top end, and you may have to deal with some flat spots on the power curve, generally around 8 to 9 k or so. They can be tuned right with the pods but the airbox does a really good job and the gains for getting rid of it aren't worth it (imo, but said by someone with pods!). Search the forum as there is plenty of info on how various folks tuned/jetted their carbs with pods.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
guess I'll try to find out the best jet combos to re-tune the carbs, pretty sure mine are Mikunis ro find an airbox and filter for the beast as the original one was missing when I got the bike.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Triplets managed to get pods on Mikunis. Get in touch with him if you wanna stay podded, I persinally love the pod look. I remember him saying it's a fiddle but possible.

As has been said, stock airbox is the easyfix.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tried to get ahold of Triplets, but he hasn't gotten back to me, anybody else know how to do what I need. Changing out the jets/tuning the carbs for the pods and putting on aftermarket piupes later.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts