Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Pirelli Sport Demon front tire I ordered the other night and it's got "tubeless" written all over it. Like other spoked wheels, the TBS wheels require a tube. I just spoke to a guy at a tire / wheel shop who told me that most tire companies don't even bother making a tube-specific tire because spoked wheels have such a low presence in the market. He said that in the event a tube is necessary, most people will buy the (tubeless) tire of their choice and plop the tube in it.

Is this safe? I'd really like to avoid the hassle of sending this one back and waiting on a new tire to get here. Also, based on the reviews, I'm excited to try this particular tire out. I'd just really prefer not to put myself at risk of death while doing it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Having a tube in there will generate a small amount of MORE heat that normal.

That being said, I've never had a problem doing that... nor have I ever HEARD of someone having a problem doing that.

If you're really worried about it, check the speed rating on your tubeless tire... move down one level below the rating... treat your "tubeless + tube" tire setup as being rated at the lower speed.

There is no need to send that tire back.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You can actually purchase a "radial tube" if you have concerns.
That said, the majority of us use a tube inside or the air would leak at the spoke nipples.
A few have gone tubeless with a sealing system to eliminate air leakage through the spokes.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
IIRC the original tyres specified by Triumph are a tubeless design. From what I've heard, as mentioned above, derate by one speed rating & all's good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts