Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After checking out a bunch of threads on the Kawasaki ZRX KYB shock swap, I found a very nice pair of them on Ebay for $180. I got them and had them on my 2007 Bonneville in about 20 minutes. It was the easiest modification/upgrade to a bike I've ever done.

After riding around San Francisco for the day, I stopped to inspect the shocks and the mounts - making sure nothing bad was happening. And that's when I noticed the chain - it seems to be riding against the top of the rear wheel's swing arm (see picture). Should this alarm me, or just grease it up and ride it?

Christopher
San Francisco

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Picture of the KYB finished install

I was really surprised how high it raised the rear of the bike. Taking a corner is a completely different experience. With my new springs in the forks and these shocks, a corner is the best place to be.

Here is a picture of my bike as I parked it next to a completely stock 2006 T100. Oh, and check out those hard bags on the T100. Nice!! I've never seen those kind before.

Christopher
San Francisco

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 T-100, 2010 Street Triple, 1974 Honda CB550
158 Posts
And that's when I noticed the chain - it seems to be riding against the top of the rear wheel's swing arm (see picture). Should this alarm me, or just grease it up and ride it?
That can't be a good thing. My gut say that the extra long shocks on a Bonnie drastically changed the angle of the swingarm in relation to front sprocket causing it to rub.

I recently fitted KYBs on my Thruxton, which already have longer shocks than Bonnie, and it took some work to get them mounted.

On another note, nice price you got on them! I was happy when I recently paid $300 for a set in good condition. With some guidance from Blight I stripped the gold off the reservoir to match my Thrux a little better and I think it would look sweet your silver Bonnie, too.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
After checking out a bunch of threads on the Kawasaki ZRX KYB shock swap, I found a very nice pair of them on Ebay for $180. I got them and had them on my 2007 Bonneville in about 20 minutes. It was the easiest modification/upgrade to a bike I've ever done.

After riding around San Francisco for the day, I stopped to inspect the shocks and the mounts - making sure nothing bad was happening. And that's when I noticed the chain - it seems to be riding against the top of the rear wheel's swing arm (see picture). Should this alarm me, or just grease it up and ride it?

Christopher
San Francisco
Supposed to be like that; it is actually a rubber runner. Chain looks dry, maybe it needs moistening?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I dig my set up! KYB's in the back and Works Performance dual rates up front. I must agree with David C. It looks as it should. Now go grease that chain!!!!

Cheers,

SK

·
Registered
427 Posts
Cat about to be put anongst the piegeons

Don't grease that rear chain. Adding grease or oil will attract dirt and produce chain wear. If your chain has 'O' or 'X' rings it does not require external lubrication

·
Registered
151 Posts
O or X ring chains do require lubrication. The pins and bushings internally are sealed, the rollers are not sealed and do require some lubrication. Spray on your choice of any of the quality lubricants on the market while the chain is warm, spin the wheel a few times to help the lube work in. Carefully wipe off the excess with an old rag.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Cat about to be put anongst the piegeons

Don't grease that rear chain.

If your chain has 'O' or 'X' rings it does not require external lubrication
Nice one Phil!!
Its been a while since we've been here!!:):)

My 2p's-worth on the subject (another cat after a different pigeon!!).....

Fit a Scottoiler with lub-tube and forget about lubing your chain for a year.
It'll do it itself!!

V.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts