Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local dealer today, and he had one '06 left (blue). If I trade my '05 zx10, it would come to about $9300 out the door. An '07 would be about $1500 more. The only thing that kind of has me irked, is that the salesman was talking about giving $7000 for my trade, but then his manager told he could only give me $6500.

What do you guys think? I like the blue, other than the ECU and the faster starting, is there anything else significantly changed. I know right now, I'd have more pipe options with the '06. Anything else?

I put a refundable $500 deposit down, but I probably only have until the weekend to decide. I'd like more for my bike, but I don't know how realistic it is. I've had it advertised since August, and only gotten a couple calls, always lo-balling me. It is winter though. Also, if I sell my bike and pay the full amount, it's over $9600 OTD with the additional taxes.

What to do? :huh: :huh: :huh:

·
Registered
528 Posts
damm, 6500$ for a 05 zx10r. That is a hell of a steal i think.

You know of course you can sell it higher by yourself right?

But they would have offered you the 7000$, but since they are salesman, they knew they could have gotten less.

a zx10r sells like hotcakes. Sell it privately. Make more money in summer :)

Winter bad for selling bikes. Summer good. :-D

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you are intent on buying the S3, demand $7,000 for your bike or threaten to walk (BUT - be ready to walk and not look back. A good salesman will spot the insincerity if you are bluffing).

Otherwise, sell your bike on your own. There are deals to be had on S3's if you have patience. Patience in both selling and buying goes a long way toward financial satisfaction - confucious says... I think.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main thing that's pushing me on this is that it's a left over '06. Saving $1400 over an '07 is a pretty big incentive to act now.

Another thing, the only offers I've had on my bike were $7000, so $6500 isn't too far off, considering the tax difference.

[ This message was edited by: kcjones on 2007-02-19 15:56 ]

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
Sell your bike privately and put the extra money you`ve made towards an 07 model. You might think you`re saving money now by purchasing an 06, but it`ll be payback time in a couple of years when you go to trade it in. You can just picture the salesman in a couple of years saying
"Now if it was an 07 model with the new efi, we`d be happy to give you your price for it but the 06? Sorry mate, they`re just not in demand, I`ll have to offer you a grand less."

Toughen up, borrow a bit more and get the 07.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think you should save your money and buy mine, it is the faster black color. :-D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't want to borrow at all :) , the kawi's paid for. I don't have enough to buy the s3 outright and wait around until I get what I want for the zx10, though.

I've been saying I want $8000 for it, but now it's two years old and left over '06s are being marked down too. I'm just really not sure how the market is for liter bikes around here.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Try Ebay or Craigslist. If it doesn't sell by the summer, trade it for the 07.

Just remember, it's winter time for the dealer in MN too. He's starving on bike sales, I promise. F*ck that dude, put HIM over a barrel. Your zx10 will sell FAST and he knows it. Use it to your advantage. Demand 7k or better and if he doesn't want to give it to you just tell him you'll wait till YOU sell your bike and you'll be back when the 06 is marked down even more and he'll lose that much more money on both bikes. :wink:

·
Registered
70 Posts
do it. doitdoitdoitdoit DO IT DO IT.

You won't get much more for the ZX10, and you know this. I like the blue, too. Bring it home. If you want to work them over a little harder, tell them you know the blue is the least popular, and they'll end up knocking another $500 off it anyway. Ask them for another $500 off retail to make up for the trade-in.

Either way, you're not going to regret getting the BRAND NEW '06 vs. the BRAND NEW '07...$9300 OTD is a good deal.

BTW- picking mine up TOMORROW!!!!!! :yayyy: :yayyy:

[ This message was edited by: kartstar on 2007-02-19 16:47 ]

·
Registered
225 Posts
On 2007-02-19 16:34, smashtime wrote:
Try Ebay or Craigslist. If it doesn't sell by the summer, trade it for the 07.

Just remember, it's winter time for the dealer in MN too. He's starving on bike sales, I promise. F*ck that dude, put HIM over a barrel. Your zx10 will sell FAST and he knows it. Use it to your advantage. Demand 7k or better and if he doesn't want to give it to you just tell him you'll wait till YOU sell your bike and you'll be back when the 06 is marked down even more and he'll lose that much more money on both bikes. :wink:
jeez I wouldn't sell you anything :???:

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm not seeing the math. They're going to give you $6500 on trade and you'll be financing $9300 OTD? I thought the bike retailed for $9999? Unless my math is wrong (You know, I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken), that sets the price at $15,800OTD?

Yikes.

Big Taxes?

Zip

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I first started talking to the salesman, it sounded like I would be paying about $2200(that sounded really sweet) on top of my trade, after he talked to his manager, it turned into about $2800(that sounded less sweet). Maybe in a few days I'll offer $2500 plus my bike, and they can write it up however they want. They haven't seen my bike yet either, but there is nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On 2007-02-19 16:56, zippythehog wrote:
I'm not seeing the math. They're going to give you $6500 on trade and you'll be financing $9300 OTD? I thought the bike retailed for $9999? Unless my math is wrong (You know, I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken), that sets the price at $15,800OTD?

Yikes.

Big Taxes?

Zip

No, the total out door would be $9300, including what they give me for a trade. The numbers change a bit depending on what my trade allowance is because I only pay sales tax on the cash part of the purchase. It's pretty confusing to keep it all straight some times.

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
On 2007-02-19 17:09, kcjones wrote:
Maybe in a few days I'll offer $2500 plus my bike, and they can write it up however they want.
that sounds like a wiener to me kc! :hammer: :-D $2500 ain't bad money to give fer a new speedy, and trade in an ol' beat up ZX10. :hammer: :-D JK man, my buddy had a 05 10 when I had my R1, and that thang would run!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I've been getting year old left-overs on my last two bikes, I traded a zx6 for the 10 last year, technically the 10 wasn't a left-over, but it only had 600 miles on it and they were asking only $9500, but I can't remember what I got for a trade on the 6 though. It's not like I've been buying all my bikes new, for retail, and then losing my azz on them. I know I'm not making money either, but I'm getting to try a lot of different rides :-D .

The 10 flies, but it's a bit much as a street bike. :lgh:

·
Registered
276 Posts
F all that,

Go to Dealer with a certified check for $1500 and 2 one hundred dollar bills in your pocket. They already have your nickle and the 15 will be two.

Walk in and sit with your salesman. Make sure you take charge of the conversation i.e. don't let him talk at all. Talk about the senseless stuff like the weather and how bad it is out there. Tell him your ready to buy today and you have a certified check for $1500. Lay the check on the table and don't say another word. If the salesman says our deal was for 28 politely ask him to take the offer to his manager. If he or mgr counter that is good, they want to deal today. If mgr is not already there, request to talk to him (you want to eliminate middleman). Politely tell him you want to buy today and you have another $1500 to add to your nickle. If he came down off of $2800 you counter by putting the 2 Benjamin's on the table, you can tell him that's all you got, and do not say a word. If he stayed at 28 that means he is not moving, and nor should you. Pick up your check, thank him and say, "it's winter time anyway."

Your probably better off with a 2007 so don't make excuses for an 06. If they don't want your deal at 22 Hun then they just don't want your deal, and that's okay.

It will also help if you time your entry when no one is there and it's raining. The rain always helps.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I like this thread, I wanna see how you make out kc but boezack is right if you do what he said and they still wanna be D*cks then wait and sale your bike on the street. Motorcycles are getting more popular by the day someone is gonna pay you the price you want.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone!
The thing that makes me think I don't have a heck of a lot of room to deal, is that the salesman suggested that maybe I could call back some of the people who had already made offers on my bike and see if I could get them to come up at all. I'm reasonably sure that this is their last '06, and it all boils down to how much I want to come out of my pocket. An '06 would (hopefully) be $2500, an '07 would be $4000. I can rationalize the first figure, but it gets a bit harder with the second. I'm pretty fickle too, so maybe after a couple days I'll just decide to hang onto the zx10 after all. I really don't think this is a strong market for liter bikes, I am friends with a local Yamaha dealer, and last year he didn't sell a single r1. There were leftover gixxer1000s at the Triumph dealer that were marked down to $9300.

·
Registered
169 Posts
trade it in and get the 06. ask for the $500 in accessories. they would probably go for that. whatever you would get for the zx10 privately you will have to pay the dealer in extra tax $ and then don't forget the headache of prospective buyers and whatever fees to advertise your bike for sale. in the end will it be worth all the extra time and stress and b.s. for an extra few bucks? trade it work them for the accessories and have the speedy in your garage by this weekend. done deal :cool:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just do what I said, I see your content with your zx10 and that is good, you will now bring a bit of swagger to you game and they will see this. You have nothing to lose, go have some fun an try to make a deal. I say it's about 50/50.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts