Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for suggestions from anyone who has had success dealing with a stubborn oil leak on the exhaust (front) pushrod tube on a Triumph T140E. I’ve had the engine completely rebuilt last year and the leak appeared within a couple of weeks. In case anyone is wondering yes, I did re-torque the head as prescribed. This year I took apart the top end with the assistance of experienced Triumph mechanics who assured me that it could easily be corrected. We changed all the seals, drove out the tappet block and replaced the seal underneath. We took the proper measurements as we tightened down the head, everything by the book. The mechanics that helped me were from the “British Bike Experience”, a local bike shop here in Essex, Vermont that offers the use of their shop, equipment and experience and allows you to pull the wrenches; it’s a lot of fun and less expensive. I got the bike started up and put about 10-15 miles on it and low and behold . . . . I can see oil at the base of the jugs below the exhaust pushrod tube. Strange though, I didn’t see oil at the seal of the pushrod tube, it seemed to be at the joint where the barrels connect to lower unit but it’s hard to say for certain since the oil will migrate as you drive . . . . .

Does anyone have any suggestions? The cause? Is it the pushrod seal or am I barking up the wrong tree. I can’t imagine what else it could be.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I am sure the great and knowledgeable folks here will respond soon, but as a newbie I have heard it suggested that you need to check/re torque the head a few miles/hours after re mounting.
Dave

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Bad news...

Most "PRT oil leaks" are in actuality the 80 PSI oil coming to the ex tappet block. It only makes sense when you consider that oil inside the PRT is simply dripping down from the rocker and is under zero pressure.

So it's back off with the cylinder and on with some fresh tappet block o-rings.

Not good to hear, but it's the truth. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great

I was afraid of that. Interesting though . . .I replaced the seals on the tappet block. It was easily done, no hitches. . . . .routine. This is what really bothers me. I don't want to make the same mistake again and as I said, the mechanics who worked with me didn't see anything unusual either. Does anyone know of any tricks that could prevent the same thing happening again?

Thank you for the replies

1 - 5 of 5 Posts