Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1972 650 Bonneville T120R 4-speed

Any tips and tricks for aligning push rods with rockers? The rocker box has the 2 round inspection caps.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
Do you have your rocker boxes off the engine? If so, put grease in the little cups at the ends of the push rods. That way when you drop the rod down the push rod tube you can feel it stick to the top of the tappit. You'll know it's on the tappit because when you pull up on the push rod you can feel it try to lift the tappit.
The rocker box gasket comes with two small holes to fit over the push rods and they will keep the rods lined up with the rocker arms. I back off the rocker adjuster so I can gently feel if the ball on the other end of rocker has seated into the grease in the top of the push rod.
If you feel you're sure the rockers are properly seated on the push rods, take up most of the slack in the rocker adjuster and turn the engine over a few times to get most of the grease out of the cups before adjusting the valves.
Before doing any of the above be sure to flatten the bottom of the rocker boxes on a flat surface like a cast iron table saw top with some 220 grit sand paper attached to it. Also, use a good quality rocker box gasket. Most people like the gasket that is a combined metal and fiber gasket provided to retail Triumph parts companies by a supplier that I think is called Coventry Spares. Coventry only sells to retailers.

I hope all this makes sence to you and others may chime in with their way of getting the job done. Good luck with your project!....Gary

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
in addition to the above - i also set the rocker arms in their maximum position with the ball ends aiming to the push rod ends as i lower the rocker box into position (dunno if it helps but i always do it !)

plus i turn the engine so the push rods are at the lowest point you can set them equal ( ditto the dunno bit))

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Hi
In addition to the above- I hold the rocker arms up with elastic bands hooked around the end.
It’s easier than growing a second pair of arms.
Regards
Peg.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Using a gasket with two holes for the pushrods, they just line up very easily. I agree that grease on the pushrod ends helps keep them in at the bottom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts