Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a warning for anyone who uses kevlar jeans. Make sure you have a set that are fully lined with kevlar, if they are only partially lined then they don't protect you where the kevlar isn't! I recently lowsided and my jeans split above the kevlar at the knee so my knees got pretty chewed up.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
I hate to see your knees like that but it's good that you posted the pics. I've worn the cheaper partially Kevlar lined pants in the past but I only wear fully lined Hood Jeans now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
That’s why they come (or should) with knee pads. Guilty as charged, sometimes I don’t put mine in for city rides, but I almost always do. And I have extra sets for all my Kevlar jeans. There is little point to wear the gear without the impact protection.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I was wearing a pair of Lean Angle jeans (lined from the waist all the way to the cuff with Kevlar) when I was hit broadside by a pickup truck and knocked 100 feet. My lower left leg was punctured in two places by the gearshift lever and foot peg... but there were no holes in the jeans. So, the jeans either rode up to expose my calf, or the jeans themselves were pushed into my calf. I also have Rokker jeans, which are also lined from the waist to the cuff, and I'm sure those would have performed just as well but I wasn't wearing them at the time.

I had a massive hematoma on my left calf, and another on my right hip where I hit the ground. I spent a month in the hospital.

I don't know how, but I didn't break any bones. Even without broken bones, I had a lot of injuries... hence the long hospital stay... but I do know how I escaped without ANY road rash. My Lean Angle jeans, a heavy Fox Creek leather jacket (with armour), heavy boots, Dainese race gloves, and an Arai helmet.

My left hand was crushed between the handlebar and the clutch lever. I did end up with black fingers and lost several nails... grown back now...but I still have my fingers because of the carbon fiber knuckle protection in those gloves.

Wear good gear. I don't know what else to tell you. You're not saving any money buying the cheap stuff.

ALL of that gear was cut off me. Sigh. I miss my Speed Triple.

I know they're pricey, but I can't say enough about my Rokker and Lean Angle jeans.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Kevlar is no longer considered the best material for riding. The Dyneema (aka Spectra aka Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWP) ) materials typically get much better slide time ratings. I wear a knee/hip armoured Dyneema/cotton blend jean from Saint which carry 6 sec slide & CE rating. These are a single layer material so less bulk and better breathing in heat.
Another brand at a lower price point is the US made Bullitt jean made of Covec. These claim even better slide protection than Dyneema.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I've been down the road at 80 miles an hour in full leathers and still ground a hole in my knee down to the Bone that took 25 Staples to close.
So when I recently bought the Thruxton R i was still wearing my full leather sports bike gear that I wear on the Daytona, but I wanted a slightly more casual look to suit the bike.
I personally don't think I'd feel protected riding in jeans and some of the better ones are very expensive, so now I wear my leather pants with a cheap pair of jeans over the top, it's the best of both worlds for me, I've got the same protections as before but with a more casual look.
Also now the jeans are over my boots they're not scratching the side panels to bits.

·
Registered
108 Posts
For anything beyond riding across town for lunch, I wear an older version of these from Knox:
https://www.planet-knox.com/product/knox-action-armoured-pants/

To me, the advantage is that the armor is kept in position. They fit fine under a pair of regular jeans.
These look really intriguing but they don't provide abrasion protection, do they? Won't you need something like unarmored kevlar jeans over them? If the abrasion ripped the jeans of the OP just above the knee area, wouldn't they rip these above the pad too?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of the Knox pants, but they only seem like one part of the solution, unless I am missing something.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes; there is no perfect armor.

I have used denim jeans over the Knox 'Spandex/armor' for many years, have gone down a couple of times, and never had an injury where I was armored. A couple of pairs of jeans were consumed in the process, and a broken fibula at the ankle [now I wear taller boots], but for the overall compromise of comfort vs. protection this rig has proven itself. I expect Kevlar jeans would be better in a long slide or on abrasive pavement.

·
Registered
90 Posts
These look really intriguing but they don't provide abrasion protection, do they? Won't you need something like unarmored kevlar jeans over them? If the abrasion ripped the jeans of the OP just above the knee area, wouldn't they rip these above the pad too?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of the Knox pants, but they only seem like one part of the solution, unless I am missing something.

No question, these are meant to be worn underneath protective motorcycle pants. They take the place of the armor in the pants. They are not meant to offer any abrasion protection at all. I find that knee armor in pants have no way of being close to your knee in a crash unless the pants are very close fitting at the knee, like racing leathers. I always wear dedicated knee protectors underneath motorcycle pants, with the pads removed from the pants. Hip armor in the pants is at least likely to stay in position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts