Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Well, i watched people cite thier 1st service cost sine a couple years ago and don't think i ever saw anyone cite such low costs as what you guys are saying. That happens a lot on these forums tho. Soon as you say something about cost being high and that most pay over X amount, those who didn't only then post.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I found the touring seat on the SE A1 Thunderbird to be very comfortable, even on longer trips. Apparently, there are two touring seats. Can ride this one all day with no problems. Older than dirt, so appreciate my creature comforts, including the Holiday Inn at the end of a long day's ride. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Re. Service cost. Maybe someone can share more information. Yes my 500 mile service was $160 but it is my understanding the 6k mile service is far more expensive. I am not technically savvy like many on this forum so will rely on my dealer. I am in WI and the dealer has been very good so far.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Well, i watched people cite thier 1st service cost sine a couple years ago and don't think i ever saw anyone cite such low costs as what you guys are saying. That happens a lot on these forums tho. Soon as you say something about cost being high and that most pay over X amount, those who didn't only then post.
I wasn't here a couple of years ago, or I would have spoken up. I only just bought my bird in March of this year.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My question is WHY should the 6,000 mile service be a lot more expensive? If memory serves me right, they only add in the 6,000 mile service checking (NOT replacing) the spark plugs and checking the throttle body balance. More often than not, the throttle bodies are within specifications anyway. If there are more things in the 6,000 mile service, then please let me know. Some of the prices quoted seem to me to be between very high and obscene. I realize that people pay different amounts across the states and even among dealers in the same state for scheduled service, but the costs are high. It costs enough just to keep a rear tire on the motorcycle. Avon helps.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
My first service, on May 19 this year, mileage 516, cost me $125.25.
The invoice says:
Labor $60.00 (1 hr.)
Oil Filter $13.49
Oil $46.76 (4 qts.)
Shop supplies $5.00

·
Registered
26 Posts
Add $30 to OldGrey's cost and you have mine pretty much.

$90 an hour charge, which is way to much imo. I went in assuming that is was part of the purchase, doing my 500 mile checkup.

It felt akin to going on a blind date only to find the proverbial elephant in the room is the girl you were set up with.:eek:

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
I have a little more info on the speedo question...

I went to the dealership this week and told them that my bike is about 8% off compared to my other vehicles.

There's an automated radar speed sign on the highway near me, and I've tested my car and truck. If I hold at a steady 100km/h on my speedo on those vehicles, I get readings of 97 km/h to 98 km/h - pretty close, but still under the sign reading. (Not that I completely trust the stupid sign, but whatever. It seems consistent.)

On my Tbird, I get 92 or 93 km/h.

A guy at the dealer told me that all the bikes are at minimum 7% off for liability reasons. They don't want the manufacturer to get sued if you get busted riding too fast.

I asked him what he thought about me putting on almost 10% more mileage on my odometer over the life of the bike ... and got a shrug and "all bikes are like that."

Not sure what to make of all that. Maybe it just is what it is.

Draeger

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
It's my understanding that most European countries abide by a standard that specifies that a speedometer must never indicate a speed lower than actual or more than 10% above actual. I believe the accepatable error in the US is 5% above or below.
So, in order export bikes, they're going to meet the strictest standard. Rice bikes are the same.
As a rule of thumb, I add 10% to indicated and it works for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So, I ended up getting a Storm going on 2 weeks ago. I'll answer the questions below in the hopes that they may help someone else in the future that is looking for a T-Bird

How accurate are the gauges (speedo, fuel, odo)?
Fuel gauge seems to be spot on, including miles to empty. Speedo reads a bit high. As was previously said, TuneEcu can fix this.

Is there a recommended weight chart for the adjustable shocks?
Oddly the manual says that setting 1 is for solo rider and then has two entries for setting 5 of 'rider and passenger' and 'rider, passenger, and luggage.' Personally, I'm riding with setting 3. At 270, it feels stiff enough that the bike isn't sagging in the back or in danger of bottoming out. It feels fine for normal road bumps, but the bigger bumps can be a bit jarring. Setting 2 felt a bit too soft.

Can you mount highway pegs on the frame or do you *need* the dresser bars? No way to mount them without dresser bars.

How do people find the stock seat?
I've put 700 miles on the bike so far. My personal limit is about 1.5 hrs. At an hour, I start to notice that I need to shift my position. At 1.5, I'm looking for a place to pull over. Less than that and for normal commuting, I find the stock seat to be great.

I'm glad I picked a Thunderbird. It is a great improvement over my old Vulcan. Thanks to everyone for the advice and safe riding.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts