Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to figure out what my next bike is going be. Right now I am riding a Buell XB9SX. I have narrowed the search to a Speed Triple, Aprilia Tuono and a Ducati Monster.

First problem, is that I have no way to test drive any of these bikes. The Triumph dealer does not stock the ST or allow test drives even if they had one. The same is true of the Aprilia/Monster dealer.

Can you guys compare the power and acceleration of the ST to another bike? I love the handling and torque of my Buell, but the acceleration is less than what I want. If I hit second gear and jump on the throttle hard is the front end coming up? What is going to surprise or disappoint me in the engine department?

Also, I keep reading in the reviews about the weak brakes. Is there a fix for this?

What are the weak spots or problems for the Speed Triples?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am hoping you guys who are riding these bikes can help me make my decision. Thanks for your time and shared knowledge.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am trying to figure out what my next bike is going be. Right now I am riding a Buell XB9SX. I have narrowed the search to a Speed Triple, Aprilia Tuono and a Ducati Monster.

Also, I keep reading in the reviews about the weak brakes. Is there a fix for this?

What are the weak spots or problems for the Speed Triples?
I subscribe to Motorcycle Consumer News, a no-ads-accepted bike rag in the US, and they thought their test gear was malfunctioning when they first stopped a Speed Triple some years ago. It turns out that it was the hardest, quickest stopping bike they had ever tested. It held that record with them until the new generation with Brembo calipers debuted. That bike then broke the old record. So, that's the story on "weak brakes." And yes, the front end will be coming up violently in second and at almost any point in first by simple application of throttle. The Tuono is one of the sweetest handling bikes I have ever ridden and my 2009 S3 is one of the most dismal. I've injected quite a bit of dinero into making my S3 handle as well as my stock Yamaha FZ1, which is not a bike noted for its handling.
That being said, happy hunting.
Cheers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Weak brakes on the ST? They are on the Triumph Sprint ST not the Speed Triple :)
IMHO the weak point of the Speed Triple is the suspension.
The performance is definitely not an issue unless you are after 100mph speeds but then you would be buying a sports bike for that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've ridden the Tuono, a few Ducati Monsters (620ie, s800 and the S4R), and only the Street Triple. If the Speed Triple is any similar to the Street, then you can eliminate the Ducati. That Tuono was nasty!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, exactly the type of information I was hoping to get.

Slomo, would you mind elaborating on the handling issues you have had to deal with on your Speed Triple and what you did to correct them?

Cyclefreak, would you also elaborate on what exactly made the Tuono "nasty"? Also, what is the engine/performance like on the Tuono, such as slower reving in the bottom end, etc.?

·
Registered
500 Posts
odoa3 which country are you in? I have heard Aprilia has had issue with parts support some taking months,the english website motorcyclenews has a great review section on motorcycles so you can do a comparison http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/ and read riders views on said bikes. But really you can't go wrong with the S3,reliable,torquey motor,loads of character...oh and i am biased,the S3 will do that to you

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keltriple,
Thanks for the info. I am in Alaska, so the US. I will check out that site.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks guys, exactly the type of information I was hoping to get.

Slomo, would you mind elaborating on the handling issues you have had to deal with on your Speed Triple and what you did to correct them?
The common thought on the forum is that the suspension is OK stock if you weigh no more than 165 pounds. If you're 210 like myself, the suspension just can't be adjusted to compensate and it will never feel settled nor be very confidence-inspiring. I had an Ohlins shock installed followed by RaceTech Gold Valves and linear springs, as the stock springs are dual rate. The difference can only be described as PFM...Pure Freakin' Magic. It absolutely transforms the bike into a joy to ride rather than a bother.
Good luck.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Slomo... I am a lot more than 165, so I guess suspension is more of a factor than I thought.

·
SUPERcharged Moderator
8,853 Posts
I am 240lb in full gear and I come from a crap handling V-star 1100 to the Speed Triple . Having never tried anything else but the cruiser, the speed triple is a razorblade! I do not notice these suspension issues . That said I do plan to make these upgrades in the future, but they dont seem to be critical to me . Just MHO . Many will vigorously disagree with me but this is my take on this bike. LOVE IT !

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Diesel, thanks for that. The one thing I love about my current Buell is the handling. I am really hoping not to lose that with the new bike. I have to admit that the Tuono has been in the lead in the handling department just from what I have read. However, the engine of the S3 seems to be closer to what I am looking for.

I really enjoy "urban sport riding". Look over your shoulder- no cops, pop the front end up, or dash from light to light, etc. The S3 seems to be built for this. However, I enjoy playing on the twisties as well. So my bike choice needs to do both duties.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I guess it sort of depends on how hard you ride. I am not a fast rider so I wouldn't know if the handling is sub par compared with other bikes. But I will say that it is so smooth and has so much low end torque it's just so much fun to ride. Is it possible people are splitting hairs about the handling? I don't think it will out-handle your Buell, but it will probably come close.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Think if you took a speedy out for a test ride you would find it is very capable in all the areas you are looking at,it doesn't stay top of the bike magazines shootouts for so long for no reason,and the money you save from the ducati/aprillia you could spend on the forks if you did push hard enough for them to be a problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i am the same as slomo in respect that the stock suspension is crap, i didnt spend alot of money getting mine sorted £250, new springs in front, more oil and a set up on the rear shock. The bike went from a bike that was ok in the twistys to a bike that gives me 100 x more confidence and i mean i havent had a problem of just chucking it in2 a corner, i ride 90% B roads and twistys and i find the speed awesome now. I have had 20 years of sports bikes and one vtwin KTM superduke R the speed for me is on par to the KTM and i cant see me going back to sportsbikes, and as for the brakes there also awesome.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well, I guess if the suspension is "fixable" than it is not so much of an issue.

I keep seeing reference to "TORS exhaust" as I read through threads. What is TORS?

Also, what are your thoughts about using a Power Commander? I have never used one and dont know too much about them. My buddies on GSX-R, FZ-1, etc. all swear by them. Are they worth the cost on the Speed Triples, hurt the performance, or just plain not necessary? Let's hear what you have to say.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well, I guess if the suspension is "fixable" than it is not so much of an issue.

I keep seeing reference to "TORS exhaust" as I read through threads. What is TORS?
People say the suspension is weak, but my only complain is that the front end can be a bit vague. I'm 160lbs and my riding skills aren't good enough to need better suspension. (I still scrape my toes and touch my knee down with "crappy" stock suspension btw)

TORS stands for "Triumph Off Road System". It's an "off road only" exhaust that looks like the stock cans but without the internal baffles. I ignored this exhaust and went straight for the Arrow 3-in-1. It lowers CoG and improved handling significantly.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MK003, thanks for the response. I have to check that out just for the general knowledge.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an '06 Speed Triple, 2 buddies with '08 Tuonos and 2 with Monsters. I've only ridden the Monsters a few times, and I couldn't "connect" with them...it just felt unresponsive to me.

I have 23,000mi on the Speed Triple and love every minute! I'm 6' 200lbs...it power wheelies in 1st and 2nd, top speed is about 140, very comfortable seat and riding position. I have no suspension or handling issues, mostly sport riding in the twisties and I've taken it to the track a half dozen times. I have heard that the suspension could be better too but it's fine for me. I will never sell this bike.

The Tuono definitely has more power. Top speed has got to be closer to 150-160? The riding position, however, is completely different. The rearsets and handlebars are very high. It feels like your knees are next to your ears compared to the Speed Triple. On the Tuono I usually get hip cramps after about 15 minutes so it would take some time to get used to if you have long legs.

Coincidentally two buddies actually have their Tuono for sale...and the Buell 1125R...both very clean with low miles. Let me know if interested.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts