Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

This is my first post and I'm loving the board so far. I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing a newer Sprint ('05 or newer) and have a bunch of questions if you can humor my ignorance...

I currently own an '02 Yamaha FZ1 that I absolutely love except for one problem. The vibes... I have some mild carpel tunnel issues in my throttle hand and the Yamaha puts my hands to sleep within 15 minutes. I have tried all sorts of tricks to lessen the vibes including gel grips, bar end weights, cruise controls, TPS adjustment and more. Nothing I have tried has brought things to the point where I can ride for long in relative comfort. It has become an issue of safety for me and I have decided to sell the bike.

Anyway, I am in the market for a new sport tour bike and have loved the looks of the new Sprint ST since I first saw pictures! My first and most important criteria for any new bike that I purchase has to be the issue of vibration. I simply can't afford to purchase a vibey bike with my problem...

I realize this issue is very subjective, but as I've no experience with a triple I thought I'd ask. If things sound OK, I may search out a dealer with a demo (not very common in my area) to try.

Is there anyone with experience with both the FZ1 and Sprint ST that could offer a comparison? Power, handling, comfort, issues in general? All replies are welcome of course...

Thanks in advance!!!

:wink:

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
FWIW Clip67, the Sprint RS (similar triple) has minimal vibration transfered through to the bars.

The only vibes are good ones that make your face hurt from smiling so much.. :-D

If you get a an ST, make sure that you get a full face helmet. Otherwise you'll get bugs in your teeth from grinning at all the time. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ride the 06 Sprint and love the inline triple. Its a nice blend of a sport V-twin and inline four. The power band is lower than the FZ1, also a great bike. I really don't notice much vibration from the Sprint ST. One problem you may have is the Sprint's handle bars are lower than the FZ1, easily fixed with the Genmar or other risers. I had severe carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists/hands that required surgery in 2004 and I have no problem with risers installed. Before the risers I would be in considerable pain after ~ an hours ride, although it didn't stop me. I've got that Sprint addiction too. If the carpal tunnel gets too bad don't hesitate to have the surgery, it was a blessing for me. With the risers, I can ride for 8 hours a day now with no hand or wrist problems, the backside is another issue. This is my first Triumph and I am completely satisfied beyond my expectations. If you live in the Philadelphia area Manayunk Triumph is a good dealership. I didn't buy the bike there, but they are very accommodating and the service is good.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Clip67
I`ve got the same problems in my wrists and have tried all the same things .I did however learn to ride with a more relaxed grip on the bars and wear gel palm gloves that are'nt to tight.The new ST has more relaxed seating postion so thats a big advantage.I also don't think my triple vibrates any more than a four.
You should test ride one as Steventhechef said the grin factor is addicting.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
I had a slight problem after I got my 05 Sprint. I got genmars, throttle rocker for long trips and fat foam grips that slide over the exixting grips. Problem gone!!! Now I have carpel smile syndrome :-D :-D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Manayunk Triumph in Philly def has a 07 Sprint ST demo.

My 00 Sprint RS didn't vibrate that I can recall. It took ST clip ons and GenMar risers to find the right setup becasue of the way my body is built for me to be comfortable tho.

Can't recommend these Triumphs enough. Great, fun bikes. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Hi Clip67,
the Triumph triple mill is one of the smoothest donks around.

I have a right wrist, elbow and shoulder that can give me a bit of gyp at times (I wonder how that happened :razz: ), but I have never experienced any bad vibes that hurt me from my Sprint.

She's a very smooth ride and does not Buzz like a four does,

Ride one and try it see what you think. I am sure you will be impressed with the smooth engine. :wink:

DaveM :cool:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Clip,
I had problems with my Trophy with my wrists, moved to the 06 Sprint and have had no complaints. I have never ridden the FZ1 but I looooooooooooove my Sprint.

As far as dealers go...
Martin Moto in Pottstown will do demos if they have one.
Hermy's in Port Clinton (Hamburg) will also.

Hermy's is the best dealer in PA :cool: I guess I can't tell you what I paid for mine, but thats where I got the best deal.
The roads around Hermys is perfect to test ride, try going over Hawk Mountain....awesome. :cool:

·
Registered
223 Posts
The inline 4 bikes that I've owned had a high frequency vibration that would make my hands go numb after an hour or so but I have not had that problem with either of my Sprints. As a matter of fact, I have never noticed any engine vibration through the bars at all. I have found though, that the angle of my wrist when my hand is on the throttle is more important than any vibration and as long as I remember to change my hand position occasionally, I have no issues.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
clip67 - I can confirm that my triple doesnt have the buzz that my previous 4 cylinder used to have.

I had a Suzuki 1200 4 cyl before my Sprint and it got a buzz through the bars and footpegs at times.My pillion has also commented on the smoother Sprint - my son used to feel it through the footpegs.

Also I love the power characteristics of the triple - really smooth power delivery and it sounds great.

The only problem I experience is throttle hand numbness but not as bad as on the last bike.The solution for me was a cramp buster throttle rocker so that I dont need to grip the throttle the whole time.I have now done 8-9 hour days without problems.

Try it - you will be impressed.

Grant :cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Triumph triples are much smoother than most in line fours. I've been riding for 37 years, and have suffered from "vibration white finger" for the last twenty odd years, caused I believe, by riding thousands of miles on in-line fours of various makes which usually have a high frequency vibe through the bars, usually at cruising speeds. The only fours I've found to be almost vibration free are the Kawasaki shaft driven bikes (had a GT750 for 8 years) and the early Yamaha FZS 600 & 1000 , which had semi rubber mounted motors, (not the current models based on R6/R1 engines)
I've had no problems with vibration with my RS, and the newer 1050 motors shouldn't be any different

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have a stock 06' and I do feel mild vibration in my right hand. Not enough to be of concern, but with your issues I would consider some of the "fixes" that are mentioned.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much for all of the replies everyone! I was hoping that this would be the case. I will go to a local shop and see if I can get a test ride and go from there...

Timsound: I am in NE PA (Bloomsburg) and will give Hermy's a try, thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts