Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am willing to bet that this has been discussed at least a hundred times but I could not find anything. Anyone aware of a place to read about comparisons between various years for the ST 1050?

I thought I liked what I have and was going settle down and ride. But, Sunday I was talking to group of riders and this 50 plus very pleasant woman got on her Sprint and fired it up. Oh boy. The looks and the sound!!

Now I am ready to sell the others if I can find the right Sprint.

Hence my question above.

I am too old to screw around. I need/want a bike that makes my blood rush.

:grin2:

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Can't help you with the 1050's, but I like the 955 body style better. Especially in 'Aluminium Silver'. IMHO, the '02- '04 version ("Gen II") is better than the earlier one.

The motors are pretty darn reliable. The charging system may be an issue. Or not. There is precious little aftermarket support for any of the Triumphs. If you want bags, make sure you buy a bike that has them already.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like one with bags since I plan to do some moderate touring. I have found a few reviews both from various magazine and on Youtube. A lot to learn it seems. Like after, what, 2007 the bars are a bit raised. Small details but I enjoy a bit of research. I am thinking at some point I want to get down to one bike and the Sprint may be it.

GR

·
Registered
895 Posts
I believe in '08 they went to a steel tank. That's a good step. The previous generation plastic tanks swelled with exposure to ethanol infused fuel, causing them to become very fiddly to put back on the bike after service. Plus, the steel tank expands your tank bag choices to include magnetic bases.

Someone will have to help me on the date, but they moved the rectifier/regulator from the right side of the motor, to the upper left corner of the front fairing, to assist with cooling. This helped reduce rec/reg failures. Could have been '07, or '08. I know for sure my '08 has it in the upper left fairing.

I have not been impressed with the OEM panniers for the 3rd gen Sprint STs. They are too small, as far as I'm concerned. If you can't fit a full face helmet in it, it's not big enough. And that swinging thing, I'm not sold on. It didn't help I had one pop open on me when I was crossing states to a rally. I lost an entire weekends of cloths to a ditch somewhere in Illinois. Never did find that inner bag. I made a set of Givi V35s fit. Much happier with that setup. But, it took some fabricating, and welding.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Greyrider2, welcome! You can't go wrong with a well taken care of Sprint of most any vintage but 2007 onwards have a few small updates vs the previous bikes: fueling seems to be a bit smoother, fairing openings are a touch larger. One way to interpret the very minor changes is the fact that they are well designed from the get go and didn't need any major updates. Quick, agile, comfortable and reliable.
In general these are excellent do-everything bikes with awesome engines. If storage is a concern above and beyond what you can fit in the side cases, you can easily add a top box or pack lighter ;) the top box also makes a great passenger backrest, if needed.

Good luck with your search and if you can't find answers to any specific questions, post up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not many for sale so that is an indicator, I think, of how much the owners like them. Also from what I read it is the more mature riders that own them so a better chance of the bike being well maintained. Just my opinion.

From all I have read so far it seems a 2008 or newer is what I should be looking for. A metal tank is on my must have list. OEM side cases would be very nice and worth holding for. Otherwise I would go for soft bags. No need to put my helmet in a box. Just my habit to take it with me if need be.

I just searched CycleTrader.com and there are only 5 for sale in CA, three 2011. The others older. I have only been using Cycle Trader and Craig's list in my searches. Anyone have ideas for other sites?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can't say that I'm 100% sure of the exact timings but the differences that I know of are:

2008:
Higher bars
Metal tank
Downpipe and link pipe modified. 05-07 has a pre-cat in the down pipes and cat in the silencer. 08 onwards has a bulge in the link pipe (I think this is the cat but it might be a pre-cat)
Reg/rec moved to the front left
Foam stuck to inside of fairing modified. This added a heat barrier to channel the heat through the holes in the side of the fairing and not at the riders legs. Because of this the holes in the fairing were enlarged and the reg/rec needed to be moved.

2010:
Top fairing for the GT used so headlight modified.

Hope this helps
Tony

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tony,

Thanks. Yes, it does help. Just the kind of details I am interested in.

My long range plan, like in a year or so, is to get down to one bike. I want to make sure it is the right one. The Triumph Sprint is on my short list. Another triple that recently came to my attention is the Yamaha FJ-09. And, since I own and ride a 650 Ninja there is the Kawasaki Versys that is not all that different in some ways from what I ride. Just reported to be more comfortable on a long haul.

And so it goes. I have a good friend who owns six, at last count, bikes. A new VFR800 with all the extras being his most recent purchase. It was for his 80th birthday. He is a true iron-butt given the distances he rides. Asked how many bikes one needs, his answer was "one more".

Ok, a bit off topic. Sorry. Still, the Triumph is probably my first choice given I can hopefully get a lightly used 2008 to whatever before the GT.

Have fun and ride safe,

GR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts