Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has got to be a "newbie" type question. Since I got my '02 Bonneville (3 - 4 weeks ago), I've been shutting the engine off by using the engine stop switch, or putting the side stand down, and then turning the ignition switch off - just seemed to be more convenient, plus it's kind of a safety feature for me - last step before starting has been to turn the engine stop switch off.

Well, I had already read the Owner's Handbook twice, and now this morning I'm reading that an owner should only use the ignition switch to stop the engine, and that the engine stop switch is only for emergency use.

Does it really matter which way you stop the engine? I don't want to cause any ignition / electrical problems, from long-term use of the engine stop switch.

Sorry for the long post ...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
But kinda hard to stop using the key if using the left hand to hold in the clutch lever. :confused: (Thats why I want to relocate the ign switch so I can reach it with my right hand)

But, as DavidC says, very easy to forget tuning off the key if stopping the engine with the kill switch or sidestand.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
On all the bikes Ive ever had, I cant recall EVER using the kill switch to stop the engine?

As far as I know they're fitted to allow emergency stopping of the engine i.e. when its on its side after a crash with the throttle wide open and the rear wheel spinning in the air!! (seen that happen first-hand!)

The switch on the side stand is also there as a safety device.

The ignition switch, just as in your car, is there to stop the engine.
Put it in neutral, switch ignition off, easy done!!

V.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Normal way is to stop the bike, place in neutral, switch off the ignition key, and if you have one, turn off the petrol tap if parking. Then put the side-stand down and dismount from the bike.

Some old timers give a little blip to the throttle just before they turn the ignition key off, not necessary these days, but it sounds good. :D

--------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good replies ... thanks.

·
Driftless Admin
2008 Bonneville Black
12,235 Posts
MSF trains you to use the emergency cutoff every time. That way it is instinctive to reach for that switch in an emergency.

Even though the manual says use the key, not the cutoff switch, I can't believe it makes much of a difference. Just like the long discussions about oils and chain lubes, it's probably more fun to discuss than having any significant impact on the mechanics of the bike. Has anyone ever heard of a mechanical problem resulting from over use of the cutoff switch?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have been using the kill switch since 2001 ..... if they wanted me to use the key they would have put it somewhere useful! I addition now that i am using the clubman bars it is a real pain just to get to the key so i have no plans on changing. The good thing is that i am very aware of where the kill switch is if i need it. Try beeping the horn once and while too so you can find it quickly.

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you are parking on an incline, you'll want to put it back in gear after you shut off the engine.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
stop

Bike in neutral, sidestand down, off with KEY, click back in first to park. gas petcock off. Beer.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I use my STOP switch on my bikes - except on my Sprint ST. The EFI on that bike HATES being stopped with the switch; restarting always seems to take 3-4 times as long after using the switch. I have my ignition key handy on the T100 ( Thanks, D9! ) but I still use both.

I can accept that the switch may not have been designed for sustained usage, but it is now habit, I'll buy a new right hand control if it gives me trouble. Just like paying more for premium fuel for an EFI bike, some people will pay more for the "premium" for peace of mind...

To each his/her own!

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
I put in neutral and use the key, as described above. The advanced rider course I took insisted on using the kill switch.

I don't think it makes much difference as long as the key is eventually turned off. It's good for a switch to be run through its cycles sometimes, just as with all mechanical things, so it's not a bad idea to "exercise" the kill switch.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Some old timers give a little blip to the throttle just before they turn the ignition key off, not necessary these days, but it sounds good. :D

--------------
Ride on ! :)
A mechanic once told me this was a bad habit as it squirted petrol into the cylinder and washed away oil just before the engine stopped, causes piston & piston ring damage over time.

Even so as an old timer myself I still do it sometimes, and yes it does sound good :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
MSF trains you to use the emergency cutoff every time. That way it is instinctive to reach for that switch in an emergency.
This is what I was taught, and it makes sense to me.

This has the makings of a carbs vs efi type thread. <sigh>

·
Registered
471 Posts
The poor key position forces me to use either the kill switch or the sidestand. I rarely park on flat ground and it only takes once forgetting to put it back in gear and have you bike end up rollong off the sidestand and land on its side.

I agree with Ivar, trying to relocate the ignition switch for easier access while still holding the clutch.

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
294 Posts
+1 on the throttle blip washing the cylinder walls.

Last time I used a kill switch it was on a '50 Tbird,

with magneto and no ignition switch.

cg

·
Registered
510 Posts
+1 ignition switch

I use the ignition switch every time. However, sometimes I have forgotten to take the key out after parking the bike. You would think the Halogen light on in the front would be my first clue...

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
I use the ignition switch every time. However, sometimes I have forgotten to take the key out after parking the bike. You would think the Halogen light on in the front would be my first clue...
Doesn't your light go out when you turn off the ignition??? :confused:

Mine goes off, doesn't matter if the key is in there or not.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Fine-c

I also learned to use the cut-off switch to stop the engine in my MSF class. It's also the way I learned eons ago when many scoots had no batteries.

FINE-C refers to the routine to start the engine (stopping is the reverse): Fuel, Ignition (key switch), Neutral, Engine cut-off switch, Choke/Clutch.

My guess is that the manual says to stop engine with the key switch is because if you use the kill switch and then forget to turn the ignition off, the lights are still on and will soon run the battery down. However if you get in the habit of FINE-C each and every time, it doesn't really matter...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts