Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
For some reason, all of the Yay Area Triumph dealers had a two-week wait on clutch cover gaskets. Finally got mine this week, finished taking apart the clutch, aaaaand... yep. Broken pin on the gear shift mechanism. Swapped washers, new spring, insert, and good to go, right?

Wrong! Apparently, you can get a PhD in clutch basket installation. I've watched videos and read forum threads to no avail. How the hell do I install this thing?!
Are you talking about the clutch outer basket?
Did you use something to keep the backlash gear aligned as I suggested?
If not you'll really struggle to get it back in, I was lucky one time as the gears we're nearly aligned anyway but second time was impossible. Also don't forget to to make sure the drive for the oil pump is engaged, you can turn the small chain by hand as you fit the basket.
PM me if it'll help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah, the backlash gear is misaligned, but looks good through the alignment hole. It's off by 1-2mm. Will take any suggestions you've got, Scotty - I've been wiggling an allen key in there to try and change the alignment to no avail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Finally got this sorted out. Massive thanks to Scotty, Lawrence at LG Moto in Richmond, CA, who spent 15 minutes listening to me explain what the **** I was doing and then tell me what I was doing wrong, and these two videos (second one is German but shows a bit more and different angles):
and

The trick to the backlash eliminator gear, as best as I can describe it: Shove an Allen key into the hole. There are actually THREE plates to be aware of: the primary gear, the backlash gear, and a thin bottom plate. Align the end of the Allen key with the bottom of the backlash gear and lift/push it up. While holding it up, align the clutch basket with the oil pump drive pegs. Fiddle with it. Invent four new swear words. But eventually it will be seated properly. Once I understood the technique for aligning the backlash and primary gears, it took maybe 20 minutes of fiddling/swearing.

If anyone else has to deal with this, feel free to hit me up and I'll answer questions as best I can.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry, for some reason I didn't see your update confirming it was the backlash gear or I would have replied to get you out of it.

I did say in the beginning to make sure you put something in the hole to keep them aligned, only because I've made the same mistake.
They don't have to be out by much to prevent the gears from meshing.
Hopefully it's all smooth sailing now.:smile2:

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
My shifter gave up the ghost on the way home from work! (It's only got 5th & 6th gears, currently.) Rode it to my indie, so he's got it now. This thread is a huge help as he didn't quite know where to start. I'm gonna show him this thread, with the helpful video's and part #'s!

My bike has been becoming more and more difficult to shift down, especially when warm. Well, on the freeway yesterday, it failed finally.

2012 800XC with 50,450 miles.

Suggestions would be to replace pin/detent/ both springs/ and star wheel? Figure while he's "in there" might as well do everything, so I don't have to mess with it for another 50,000 miles.

Anything else that needs addressing? (I very easy on clutches, so I don't expect the plates to be very worn, but will measure when apart, just in case.)

Might just show the mechanic this thread, as it has lots of re-assembly tips.

Thanks so much, everyone!:wink2:

·
Registered
588 Posts
My shifter gave up the ghost on the way home from work! (It's only got 5th & 6th gears, currently.) Rode it to my indie, so he's got it now. This thread is a huge help as he didn't quite know where to start. I'm gonna show him this thread, with the helpful video's and part #'s!

My bike has been becoming more and more difficult to shift down, especially when warm. Well, on the freeway yesterday, it failed finally.

2012 800XC with 50,450 miles.

Suggestions would be to replace pin/detent/ both springs/ and star wheel? Figure while he's "in there" might as well do everything, so I don't have to mess with it for another 50,000 miles.

Anything else that needs addressing? (I very easy on clutches, so I don't expect the plates to be very worn, but will measure when apart, just in case.)

Might just show the mechanic this thread, as it has lots of re-assembly tips.

Thanks so much, everyone!:wink2:
Don't forget the pivot plate:wink2:
Check for wear on the gear change shaft where it runs inside the bearing on the left hand engine case, mine had some wear at only 20000 miles, after replacing the shaft because of a broken pin the gear shift feels a lot tighter.
Pictures of wear on the shaft and a worn pivot plate, the two vertical faces should be straight those indentations should not be there. That pivot plate was actually still working ok, I changed it as a precaution, the first one that failed was worn a lot worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Awesome, thank you!

I've called 2 Triumph shops regarding availability of the Tri shift kit P/N T 1194905.

Seems it's made of fairy dust as there are no kits in the USA. They're not showing any in England either. They tell me that there may be some at the supplier (who ever THAT is.) Anyway, it's a 3 week wait for parts. I just hope it's the right kit that fits 2012 Tiger 800 XC's.
edit~ instead of chasing parts from dealerships that take half a day to get to, I'm going to use bikebandit and see how that works.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Awesome, thank you!

I've called 2 Triumph shops regarding availability of the Tri shift kit P/N T 1194905.

Seems it's made of fairy dust as there are no kits in the USA. They're not showing any in England either. They tell me that there may be some at the supplier (who ever THAT is.) Anyway, it's a 3 week wait for parts. I just hope it's the right kit that fits 2012 Tiger 800 XC's.
edit~ instead of chasing parts from dealerships that take half a day to get to, I'm going to use bikebandit and see how that works.
I know it's in the UK but they're showing in stock here at fowlers parts
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/T1194905
Presume that kit includes the detent wheel and the pivot plate?
Probably worth waiting to see what your mechanic finds just to be on the safe side, don't forget the gasket for the clutch cover, also you're supposed to replace the clutch centre nut and Belleville washer but I didn't bother second time.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I got the T1194905 kit in mid September from Bike Bandit, but the packing was really really poor. Whoever boxes things up in their shipping department should be fired, a single wrap of clear packing tape around a mostly empty oversized box, so the parts were sliding around during shipping. Fortunately, the brake pads were the only parts that fell out and were lost, BB quickly sent another set at no extra cost.

I haven't replaced the kit yet, been procrastinating since they are for my son's 2012 800 and he's stuck out of town working for another month or so, will post the results after I get it done.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I got the T1194905 kit in mid September from Bike Bandit, but the packing was really really poor. Whoever boxes things up in their shipping department should be fired, a single wrap of clear packing tape around a mostly empty oversized box, so the parts were sliding around during shipping. Fortunately, the brake pads were the only parts that fell out and were lost, BB quickly sent another set at no extra cost.

I haven't replaced the kit yet, been procrastinating since they are for my son's 2012 800 and he's stuck out of town working for another month or so, will post the results after I get it done.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I had this pin fail on me but the bike was still under warranty when it happened so the dealer fixed it at no charge to me.
Riding the bike to the dealer was a bit of a stressful ordeal but I was able to do it staying in gears 1, 2 and 3.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I hope BB has "upped their shipping game" as I ordered a chain and both sprockets too. Don't need them yet, as the originals are still doing very well. Must be made of kryptonite as they've been incredibly durable. I've never had a chain last 50,000 miles...until now. Then again, my bike rarely sees dirt/dust, never sees rain/mud. (I have another bike for that duty.)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts