Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I know that kind of topic has discuss many times, but i feel that everyone set up is so different.

I have a T100 2005 that i'v just succesfully rejet 2 days ago after installation of Toga's style open exhaust from feked.com (very happy with them :). I changed the main for 118 since the bike is fully stock. I'd like to keep the AI in. I'v tried many position for the idle adjustment screw.
They are now both almost flush (4-5 turns) with the casing and it seems that it seems to help a little for the popping. I still get some when i change gears up and on deceleration.

So. Will i loose my time by changing the pilot for a 42 instead of stock 40 ?

Is it harmful for the bike like that ?

Thank you very much !

·
Registered
109 Posts
Jetting

My 07 bonnieblack I have 42pilots, 120 mains and 2.5 turns out. I have heard, that if you need to go more than 3.5 turns out on the idle mixture screws, that you need to or should use larger pilots.

I am certain someone else with more experience will offer their advice.

·
Vendor
2,431 Posts
The only way to cover up pops & bangs on the over run is to install the original silencers, they silence well and restrict. Going richer and richer on the pilots will not eliminate the over run noise with more open silencers, it will be less, but your idle will be lumpy and unreliable.

You may be able to improve the situation by playing with the spring on the Air Cutoff Valve on the left hand carb, but if you wreck the spring you may have a problem finding a replacement.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
re-jetting bonnie black

My 07 bonnieblack I have 42pilots, 120 mains and 2.5 turns out. I have heard, that if you need to go more than 3.5 turns out on the idle mixture screws, that you need to or should use larger pilots.

I am certain someone else with more experience will offer their advice.
Thanks for your reply. What kind of exhaust do you have installed ? Airbox out or not ? Thanks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Set it for 3 turns out. Take a ride, let the bike cool and check the plugs. It isn't the ideal way to check them but you should see a nice paper bag brown color. If white too lean, if black too rich.

Mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
airbox

zexblitz,
Sorry I should have included info about my intake. It is the stock airbox with the restrictor and snorkel removed and a K&N filter. My exhaust is the "burgess replica" from Commando Specialties.

http://www.commandospecialties.com/Prod_Detail.asp?MSecID=57&ProdID=73

I think they are identical to the "Sprint" mufflers at NewBonneville, and look very similar to the ones that you have purchased. I noticed with the ones you ordered, on the vendor site, you could not see through them. The burgess style are straight through.

I have found when it comes to jetting carbs etc, sometimes it is one step forward and three steps back. It can get a little worse before it gets better. But if you stay with it, the results are satisfying.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Just Curious- Do you still have the AI installed? As I understand it, this can exacerbate the popping issue.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Use the Jenks Bolts site

Zex, try the Jenks Bolts website; they have a very good secton on carb adjustment. I got rid of all the snap-and-pop from my '07, but, a) I don't remember how(I used Jenks), and, b) I'm minus the airbox, running UNI pod filters and BC Predators, though I'm also acquiring some Commando Specialties mufflers as well (more of a classic look and I've always loved glasspack mufflers).

I gotta admit, I miss a little of that pop-bang stuff on decceleration. Sounds cool and it don't hurt nothin.

'07 BB: UNI pods, BC Preds, 150 mains, 2 shims, 42 pilots, 2(?) turns on the mixers. 19T sprocket, she's ton-up in 4th.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts