Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I am working on a mod for my 2008 Bonnie, to replace the stock headlight with 2 PIAA lights.

I did a dry fit of the setup and would appreciate some guidance on how to tackle the connections for this project.

1) The setup

The bottom rectangular thing is a custom bracket that I have fabricated for this setup. Initially my idea was that I would relocate the rectifier and use the 2 holes there to mount this bracket.
The bracket itself, has 2 holes on the sides for the indicators, and 2 holes up top for the PIAA lights.
During a dry fit, I realized that because the rectifier holes are a bit inset and the forks stick out, this bracket doesn't go flush with the rectifier holes i.e. I need to somehow figure out using a spacer or modify this bracket to allow for the forks such that it will be flush with the holes where the rectifier sits. :frown2:

Top View of the setup

2) Electricals
The PIAA lights (purchased from ebay) came with this

I am not exactly sure what this is (relay?), because the lights didn't come with a circuit diagram or instructions. Not sure if I will need this when I connect the PIAA lights, some insight here would be mighty helpful.

The PIAA light connector looks like this

My guess is that this connector will need to be rewired using the OEM connector and pins (174058-2 Multilock connector & 173682-1 (Cut Strip) pins).

Is that right? If so, any help on which connector pins these wires should be connected to would be helpful.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Looks as you won't have Hi/low beam facility with those, it'll be either one or the other. That connector looks to be where the on/off switch is connected. I've linked the fitting instructions for anyone that can help:

http://www.piaa.com/Shared/instructions/PS_General_Instructions.pdf
Yes you are correct, lamps are just on or off, the connector is to go to a switch, so one cable on that connector should go to the relay (big black round thing ) the other end should be free, so you can connect to your choice of where it is powered up from, then the relay should have two cables one being fused which is battery connection and one being ground

The diagram shows a 3 way connector with what I presume is a ground for a neon to show when lights are on, so not seeing what you have very well from your pics, that 2 way your holding if you have 2 of them could be the light connection ( so if connector your holding both wires go directly to relay I would say light )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 - 4 of 4 Posts