Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a year of waiting on other projects the Bonneville cafe chopper is underway. I started with a 2002 Bonneville. The planned major modifications were: rake the fork ~1", slam the rear down to the frame, add custom clip-ons, swap the tank for a vintage flat tracker, and add a flat cafe-style seat. So far all of that has happened and it is really starting to look great.

What is left to do is the following: add custom controls, custom number plate to hide battery box, mini headlamp, mini speedo, rear led blinkers, reverse cones, sheet pan seat, modify kickstand, 10.5" shocks, plate mount, matte black paint job, oil spill patina. Still deciding on whether or not to use rearsets. It may be too cramped.

I imagine this may be too custom for most Triumph purists but I figured I'd share it anyway.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I love it so far & can't wait to see more. So many (not all) of the cafe-style Bonnies on this site are all the same as each other, it will be great to see an individual example.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Surprisingly for me, I like the way it looks so far. Perhaps cos it's a bit different.

Please post pictures when it's done!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
While I think the bike will be a cool fashion statement, to me it would be unrideable.
Have fun with the project.
George

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
...Still deciding on whether or not to use rearsets. It may be too cramped.

I imagine this may be too custom for most Triumph purists but I figured I'd share it anyway.
I dig it. With the clip ons & lower cornering clearance, I imagine the rear sets are almost necessary...unless you like being folded in half and cornering flat track style!

Keep up the good work.

--Rich

·
Registered
107 Posts
nniiiiiiiiiice. There is tons of custom potential with these bikes. Im looking for a used bonni or americanto really strip down and chop or customize however you want to put it. Any way great start Ill be watching. Pics are awesome cant wait to see more

later
D

·
Registered
73 Posts
wow

Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see the progress. I have been thinking about making the same kind of bike for some time now. BTW I hope you decide to keep the color of the tank. I dig it.
Later

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'll take Biker7's turn when you're handing out rides! It looks like you've got a great start on a fantasic project!

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
that looks badass. You get my vote for rearsets!

I think it will be very rideable!

keep us posted!!!

where'd you get that tank? It makes me feel funny, like when we climbed the rope in gym class.

you know what'd look cool? relacing that front rim to a 17" and putting a fat tire on it. (just my $0.02)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
that looks badass. You get my vote for rearsets!

I think it will be very rideable!

keep us posted!!!

where'd you get that tank? It makes me feel funny, like when we climbed the rope in gym class.

Thanks all! The only reason I haven't decided on the rearsets (I have a set of Norman Hyde's) is because of how cramped my legs are while seated. I feel like I really have no choice because of clearance.

Regarding the rideability I believe it will ride harsh but fine. I initially was going to make it a hard tail for appearance sake but later decided on 10.5" shocks. It won't be soft by any means but it should save my back.

I spent a year searching for a vintage flat track tank and found two. This one was the best. It was taken off of a '69 TR6r flat tracker. It's fiberglass. I'm not keeping it blue. It's going to be all matte black with a dirty/oily patina. Some will not like this as it will not look "pretty".

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The unridable comment was two fold really jost. Can't slam the seat to the top of the rear tire and maintain any suspension and when slamming the seat down you lose 4" of leg room. Superimpose drag bars or low clippons with midsets with your pelvis jammed to your body with no legroom and you will have to be gumby to reach the bars. I love your creativity but it is what is any why the earlier poster wrote what he wrote...nice to see something different. The reason why cafe and sport bikes have their @$$ in the air is three fold...suspension travel, turn in for handling and leg room.
Have fun,
George

·
Registered
98 Posts
Looks like there is some definite potential with where you are going!!! Keep us updating along the way if you have time, I'd love to see how this progresses!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The unridable comment was two fold really jost. Can't slam the seat to the top of the rear tire and maintain any suspension and when slamming the seat down you lose 4" of leg room. Superimpose drag bars or low clippons with midsets with your pelvis jammed to your body with no legroom and you will have to be gumby to reach the bars. I love your creativity but it is what is any why the earlier poster wrote what he wrote...nice to see something different. The reason why cafe and sport bikes have their @$$ in the air is three fold...suspension travel, turn in for handling and leg room.

Agreed, plus with the raked front end and slammed rear, it's going to be sloooowww handling... at least, compared to a stock or traditionally-caféd Bonnie.

It does look good though.

--mark

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
...when slamming the seat down you lose 4" of leg room.
How so? The seat to peg relationship is unaltered w/o cutting the subframe...you would, however, be folded in half trying to reach clip ons. Rear sets are the only solution to unhinge your hips and give back some cornering clearance...

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You are right Rich...my bad. I meant to say...you lose 4" of cornering clearance for lean angle. Not only does the bike turn in like a turtle but when you do lean it, no where to go. A slammed cafe bike without suspension travel is in many ways like a cruiser.
Fashion dictates you lose suspension travel and also lean angle.
You are quite right also about...the only way to reach clip ons is with rearsets to unhinge your hips and if you rotate more on your perineum with no suspension...I hope that jost has had all the kids he plans on. ;)
George

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I never had any intention of making this a sport bike. It is indeed a cruiser/chopper with a cafe style. Also, I have sat on it many times and I can tell you that the bars are easily reachable with the stock pegs. It doesn't feel awkward at all, actually. I was saying it is cramped with the Norman Hyde rearsets. The pegs are high, which keeps your knees bent tight. Again, I may not have a choice in the matter due to clearance but as for how it is setup now it feels like a chopper with mid controls.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I like it! The ground clearance/seat height/"look" is somewhat adjustable. You can raise/lower the knee bend variable a little with some cutting and welding..

and add some rigidity at the same time.

I extended the swingarm 3 inches,which doesn`t alter knee bend,by itself,at all,but does get that tire out,behind you,allowing for all sorts of lowering,with suspension travel. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Also,I`m sure you are building a custom battery box also,but keep it either high or narrow.Your chain will chew through a steel box in a single ride with lower shocks.Progressive 412s for the Sportster come in a lot of sizes,requiring just a thin shim to take up the metric slack in the eyes. I got my new set on ebay,from a dealer,for $206 bucks.They were brand new,built in May09. He had just about every model/size available for that price too.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts