Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what I have in mind for this bike; but I picked up a 98 TBS sport yesterday. It has a engine with the case split and NO bolts to put back together. No wheels [ bummer], no carbs air box.
But it is really clean and does not appear to have been down. Anyway I'm looking forward to building this bike up.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Hmm - think you should find yourself a salvage T3 daytona or Sprint and build a TB Sportier

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T3 daytona or Sprint and build a TB Sportier

Mick would one work better over the other? What about model year, any preference? Nick

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Yep, an ideal candidate for an upgrade!!!

Any of those models would work well. You'll need a '95-'98 Sprint, or a '95-'96 Speed Triple or Daytona. The engine and wheels would be a good swap, just swap out the whole front end if you find one with a good one! You'll need the rear brake arm to convert to the new rear wheel also.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Well, any of the 900's would be easier than a 1200. You could go for a Daytona, Speed 3 or Sprint or Trophy - I'd probably go in that order as that goes from highest to lowest tune, but any would be a hop up from a stock TBS. But having said that the trophy might be the easiest to find as they made them for much longer.

The beauty of going the 900 route is you wont have to worry about the exhaust, radiator etc. as you can use the TBS ones.

If it were me I would aim for the Daytona, and swap in the entire front suspension and brakes (should bolt up). Rear brake will require a conversion to the overslung trophy / sprint type as your TBS frame wont have the mounting lugs for the Daytona underslung caliper. However this isn't a bad thing as the underslung ones give more problems.

It is very possible that if you find a cheap donor T3 you could sell off the surplus TBS and T3 parts and make back a great deal if not all the expense of buying the second donor.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
The beauty of going the 900 route is you wont have to worry about the exhaust, radiators and ECU etc as you can use the TBS ones.
You'll want the T3 ECU with it's engine as the rev limiter is set higher & the advance curve is slightly different....or flog it & buy an Ignitech !

Great project. (& a TBS front end for some lucky Tbirder ;))

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
You'll want the T3 ECU with it's engine as the rev limiter is set higher & the advance curve is slightly different....or flog it & buy an Ignitech !

Great project. (& a TBS front end for some lucky Tbirder ;))

Mike
ack! Did I really say that! of course Mike is right you will want the ECU from the T3 not the TBS ay yi yi! and to think I just recently picked up a spare T3 ECU for that very reason!

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Mike I'm that lucky Tbirder; BUT I have no wheel!!!! Nick
Oh! not quite so handy...& no discs either....:(...hopefully you'll have a cool T3 project to keep up the fun quotient :)

Mike

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
T3 daytona or Sprint

Well guys I've been looking and I've found a couple of nice 95/96 Daytonas and sprints in the 2- 3000 $ range. But even if I wanted to spend that much, I good not take a bike like that apart!Any ideas where to look for a salvage bike in the $1000 range?

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
It wouldnt be my first choice - it was close to the bottom of the range. You really need to hold out for a Daytona or Sprint

1 - 13 of 13 Posts