Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now installed the Progressive 440s (12.5" HD). I dutifully jacked the rear wheel and removed the stock shocks, but couldn't get the Progressives to quite line up (too long by a couple of mm).

I tried adjusting the preload setting to perhaps shorten them a little, but no luck.

I dropped the rear wheel and put a little downforce on the seat and on they went. I'm making a guess that it's because they are 12.5" and marginally longer than stock(as recommended by Progressive.)

Anyone have any reason to think that this might prove to be an issue ?

·
Registered
648 Posts
You won't have any problems with them.
I installed 11.5" Progressive 440's on my Rocket because I wanted to pull the fender down over the tire a little. It looks much better IMO and I prefer the way the bike handles with a lower C.O.G.
Cornering clearence is not an issue either as the Kuryakyn ISO Boards I have installed now sit a little higher than the stock foot pegs did.
I've only lightly touched down once and having ridden sport bikes 35 years prior to the switch to cruisers, I am very agressive in the twisties. ;)
By the way, Progressive lists 11.5" shocks as one of the lengths they recommend for the Rocket III.

·
Registered
8 Posts
440's and all this torque stuff...

I installed a sport windshield on my new R3 and was aghast at all the torque this and torque that. Back in the 60's when I totally chopped a panhead harley from stock all it took was a hammer and a pair of vicegrips! Now I need an engineeriing degree? If I got the 440's are they an easy install? Or will I get torqued off? Going to the dealer is a hassle and expensive.

·
Registered
648 Posts
For the most part, torque wrenches are recommended for people with little or no mechanical experience. If you know what "tight enough" feels like, a torque wrench is seldom necessary. Torque wrenches are usually used for tightening critical fasteners like head bolts.

Installing Progressive shocks is simple.
Besides a 12mm wrench, all you will need is a bike lift to take the weight off the rear suspension.
I use a Sears motorcycle jack like the one shown below for this purpose.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
........and if you get the 12.5" 440HDs (recommended for the Rocket Touring by Progressive if you're over 200lbs), you don't even need to lift the rear wheel!!!!!!!

I didn't use a torque wrench, just noted how tight the bolts were when I unbolted them, and tightened them around the same tension.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Just as a clarification, Progressive recommends HD (heavy duty) shocks for riders over 200 pounds or for people that ride 2 up more than 50% of the time. The length you choose is purely a matter of choice.

If you remove the both of the stock shocks without supporting the bike on a jack it will fall down :eek:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oooops. yes, of course. I did do one shock at a time, and it was on the jack with handlebar tie downs.
As far as the length is concerned, Progressive did not give an option, but mandated the 12.5 for the Touring. Perhaps this is a Touring requirement.

·
Registered
648 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
As far as the length is concerned, Progressive did not give an option, but mandated the 12.5 for the Touring. Perhaps this is a Touring requirement.

The Touring 440 HD shocks must be for the extra load, extra gear one hauls in the touring bags.
I ride with my bags empty most of the time. I am around 215 lbs.
Will the HD shocks give a nice ride with the lower settings? or will it be to stiff? I have a 08 Classic.

odie

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HI Odie......I wouldn't go for the HD unless you're 260+. I'm 300 and I have it on the softest setting. It doesn't bottom out. I move it to the first mark when 2 up, and there's still 2 marks to go (maybe they're expecting the Big Show to buy one ???????)

Pete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts