Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had the Thruxton R for a year. Played with the suspension - not helped by the opaque instructions in the owners manual - and had finally settled on the "comfort settings". I've never had a bike before with so much adjustment and I always had the feeling the ride could be improved. I'm 115kg in my riding gear so probably outside the weight range that Triumph had in mind when they set the bike up. The front end felt plush but the back end seemed to bounce around a lot. I'm no diagnostician when it comes to forks and shocks though. When a few years ago I spent a bit of money at MCT Suspension in Stowmarket with my Tiger 1250 it was a revelation. They set the bike up for me and resprung the forks. I thought the front end was too hard, they pointed out I was bottoming out the forks! (Just in case you think that makes me a chump I read Mike Hailwood once made the same mistake - he could ride like a God but couldn't set a bike up). The best cash I've ever spent on a bike modification.
But I've moved house since then so today I trundled over to FTR Suspension in darkest rural Essex in the UK. A lovely setup and nice people. I spent an hour there and they've sorted me out. A longish ride back has revealed a firmer front end and a less tiring rear. Much more planted. Less dive. The bike feels very different and I'm more confident. They've said come back if I have any problems. Money well spent. It's early days but I'd be happy to pass on the settings they've given me. I'd certainly recommend FTR if you're in this neck of the woods. Nice roads here too - with the added potholes to test the compliance of your shocks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went through mine on my new 2018 TTR. The front preload at the bottom of each shock was an interesting experience. The manual says 7 turns from full counter clockwise. I did that and it was brutally stiff. I did it again at 7 clicks and it was much better. I am not sure there is anyone in my area (Atlanta) that does what you had done but I would like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts