Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have just purchased a procom CDI for my 02 BA and I am confused as to what setting to use. The manual states that I need to set the little blue dial @4 (for my part number) Tried this and the bike has slow throttle response @ low revs and some backfire. My question is...when you download a map on 0 setting do you then set the dial back to 4 or do I need to run the bike on 0.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey Duck, try resetting the dial to another position till the bike responds the way you like,
a bit of trial and error but from what I understand it works. I have mine (08) set on six
and she runs like a monkey stealing mangos, of course some carb tuning helped.
Downloading a new map would require the 0
setting, but I think a new MAP ( Manifold Absolute Pressure) is mostly for a fulie bike as the carbed ones have no MAP sensor, correct
me if I'm wrong guys.

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
I've been scratching my head on this one, but with a little help I got it figured out.

You need to leave the dial where it is when uploading a map, the instruction on setting it to 0 is wrong.

Give #7 on the blue dial a try, your '02 should be the same as my '03 and mine runs pretty good on #7. I am going to try a little more advance eventually.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, no wonder I'm confused! Tomorow I'll try dial setting #7 then and if no joy I'll try a map on dial setting #4...I'll keep posting.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I use the default #7 as they suggested in the manual. I am happy with it. But then I used to ride bicycle, soooo any 50 cc moped will be a tad too fast for me :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, I'm feelin a little chuffed today...tried blue dial setting #7, big improvement, better throttle response @ low revs, still a bit of backfire...timing may be still a little too advanced, may try another setting. Got caught in a downpour today so I'll try some more fiddling asap. Slinky, I have a feeling that uploading to another dial setting would be wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
Have a look at this thread, if you have not already seen it. Mikeinva suggests that it needs more advance for easier starting, and I would go with his opinion as he has a lot of experience on these bikes.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/220705-procom-editor-software.html

I have a map prepared, was going to download it today but somehow other stuff got in the way.

I'm glad #7 works better for you, seems like you are making progress. Mine is running great on that setting, it's just the starting that's variable. Sometimes it fires straight away, other times it takes a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Slinky, you guys obviously know a lot more about ignition timing etc than I do, I am a complete beginner but I am interested in learning (I think this may take a while!) I'll leave it at #7 for now,at least I can ride it. My starting is no problem, just odd backfire, runs great at high revs, accelerates well too. Let me know how ya get on with a new map.
P.s I thought advanced timing caused backfire.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried setting #8..seems to run better than #7, less spluttering @ low revs/pulling away.
@Slinky, did ya manage to download yer map if so howd it go? Does anyone know what blue dial numbers correspond to which bike, ie 790/865 and 360 degree or 270?

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
I tried a slightly modified map, +1 degree at 0rpm and +2 degrees at 3krpm, very small amounts and as you would expect, I can't tell any difference in the way it runs. But, starting has been consistently better.

I also have a little of the popping and farting on a closed throttle back since I changed the map, but nowhere near as much as before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts