Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come to the experts for help. I have an '07 D675 with stock exhaust. I've come to notice that the throttle is extremely snatchy during low speed switchbacks and nearly impossible to get to "maintenance" throttle without abrupt surpises. Is there another option like PCIII or does the aftermarket silencer help smooth this out?

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
How many miles are on your bike? I'm guessing it's probably got some FI synchronization problem. Or, it could be as simple as a binding or mis-adjusted throttle cable.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only 1200 miles. I'll double check the cable but she seems fine. Been lubed over the winter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not sure I follow...

You mean that the throttle is just jumpy? or when you hold the throttle still, the bike revs irregularly?

If it's the first one, check your cable tension and free play. If it's the second, the smarter people on this forum can probable advice you better. Although I'd check the vacuum hoses because a little bind can cause some idle problems.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure I follow...

You mean that the throttle is just jumpy? or when you hold the throttle still, the bike revs irregularly?

If it's the first one, check your cable tension and free play. If it's the second, the smarter people on this forum can probable advice you better. Although I'd check the vacuum hoses because a little bind can cause some idle problems.
It seems like it's in the cables because the throttle is very jumpy. Did some practice with it yesterday and adjusted the cables a bit but it still happens mid corner when usint the throttle to settle suspension. I'm gonna give it a shot of cable lube again and see if that helps. We had a lot of humidity last fall and the bike sat for a while. Maybe need new cables.

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
I'm guessing it's a routing issue of some kind, now you have explained it a bit more. Check to make sure you haven't tightened it somehow. Has the bike been down?

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm guessing it's a routing issue of some kind, now you have explained it a bit more. Check to make sure you haven't tightened it somehow. Has the bike been down?
No, but I did have Helibars installed when I first got the bike. After another shot of lube the cable is free and works nicely. Had her out today and it still pretty snappy. 30mph hairpin and the bike is really hard to settle from speed once corner speed is set. I'm going by the dealer on Tuesday and have him take a look at it compared to the stock cables. I'm sure it's something very simple.

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
If you have Helibars on your bike, you may need a longer cable. Messing with the cable is a PAIN! You have to remove the throttle bodies to swap the cable. Another thing which can happen is the cable can come out of the groove it's supposed to be in when you pull everything apart to change the bars. It causes the cable to bind and stick. Not a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have Helibars on your bike, you may need a longer cable. Messing with the cable is a PAIN! You have to remove the throttle bodies to swap the cable. Another thing which can happen is the cable can come out of the groove it's supposed to be in when you pull everything apart to change the bars. It causes the cable to bind and stick. Not a pleasant experience.
I checked the routing of the cable and it is pretty much right on with the stock set up. Took her down some tight ones yesterday and it still is doing it. I have to concentrate too much on getting the spot to be safe. I did get a couple of smooth transitions but it seems to be in the same spot in the throttle location. Thanks SO much for your input. I'm sure it's the cable. Since the dealer put the Helis on for me, he's gonna work on it later this week. I just have to ride it like a cruiser in the swithcbacks until then and behave. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No relief from this as the season ended. Cables are adjusted and routed properly. I set up the 1050 Sprint throttle pipe link in conjunction with this issue. It was hurting cornering speed and smoothness at apex. Not a problem getting a hand full when coming out,

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
I would guess there's a vacuum hose off or maybe connected in the wrong place. It is just a guess, but messing with throttle cables means taking everything, including all the hoses, apart. They are very easy to get back wrong. It's not pleasant riding a bike the the vacuum hoses all fouled up.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess this issue is not common with the "07's? I think I wait until I can get some extended time on the bike in warm weather and get after it. We went over the bike pretty good at the shop last fall and everything looked in the right place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts