Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Haven't been posting much around here since my Bonnie's been riding great up until now ;)

As you can hear she isn't at the moment. I've had a problem where I couldn't get sparks on the spark plugs, so I fiddled with all sorts of things before figuring out it was a loose connection in the kill switch.. Goes to show that you should always check the simplest things first!

I have gotten it running now, but the fuel mixture is too rich so it backfires and doesn't have any torque at all. I can barely hit 60mph and even had the suspicion that I've been running on one cylinder...

I've been fiddling with the contact breakers and the airscrews in the carbs. I don't know if my fiddling with the contact breakers has given me an inaccurate ignition or if I'm just not experienced enough to set the airflow properly?
A third option could be the following: today after cleaning my carbs I noticed that one of the ticklers is loose and falls ~2mm down. Could this cause the carb to overfeed one cylinder with fuel?

I'd be really happy for any input before I go wasting money on tickler conversion kits, new contact breakers etc. etc. :D

Thanks!

/Schlosser

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dave!

No I'm kinda new to tinkering so I haven't got all the tools.. matter of fact I didn't even knew strobing was a thing, but just saw a video on youtube which enlightened me :)

Is there any other points where I can start before I go searching for a strobe light?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
If the tickler is dropping down,there is the possibility that the spring under the button has broken or missing after putting it back together.Other possiblity is the float has sunk.Have a look.A cheapish strobe will work.Buy one which uses a seperate battery from the bike for its power supply.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
If the tickler is dropping down,there is the possibility that the spring under the button has broken or missing after putting it back together.Other possiblity is the float has sunk
Yes, if petrol is dribbling out of the carburettor now.

A cheapish strobe will work.Buy one which uses a seperate battery from the bike for its power supply.
Any strobe can be connected to a battery not on the bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi rambo!

The spring is there, or some of it, 'cause it's giving resistance the rest of the way when pushed down. I don't know if the small amount of weight from the tickler is enough to push down on the float needle or not? I have received new stay-up floats and viton needles that I will be installing, but if the tickler is the problem I guess it won't help much ;)

Well it sounds like I will be going strobe hunting, I'm just baffled if it can change that much just by tinkering a bit with the contactors? It was running fine, apart from a little soot on the plugs, up until the problem with the killswitch.

Thanks for your replies so far!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Triton Thrasher

Petrol isn't dripping out. I was only guessing it was rich since it is acting as it is, backfiring, soot on the sparks and trouble keeping idle.

Are the points plates the little round metal studs on the contact breakers? (Sorry I'm not all up to date on the technicalities in English :D )
If so I have fiddled with them so I have thought of buying some feeler gauges and doing it as proper as I can :)

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
It can be rich from idle up to 1/8 throttle because of the pilot mixture screw, but not rich at bigger throttle openings.

It is common for richness around 1/8-1/4 throttle to be caused by worn needle jets. Fit new ones.

Do not attempt to adjust the carburettor until the points gap and ignition timing are correct.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave,

Thanks for the link! I can see the crank should be 14 degrees BTDC static and 38 degrees fully advanced - I know what the degrees mean, but I don't grasp the meaning of static and fully advanced - is fully advanced when running 3-4000 rpm and static in the lower end i.e. idle?
I saw Lunmads video on youtube where he is setting it after the fully advanced specification.
One of his videos also suggested that I need a new alternator.. **** me it ain't cheap to be in love with the oldies :D

Triton Thrasher,

Will do!

Thank you for your replies!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The fully advanced timing, which is what you have above 3,000 rpm, must be right.

Don't worry about the idle rpm retarded timing. Anything from 5 degrees to 20 degrees before top dead centre will work ok.

Just follow the workshop manual.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
Yes, if petrol is dribbling out of the carburettor now.

Any strobe can be connected to a battery not on the bike.
There are strobes that use just the HT power to fire the strobe without a battery.This type cannot be connected to any battery,on or off the bike.
So,the meaning of this advise is to buy a battery powered unit rather than an HT powered type which is often much dimmer with an orange glow rather than white light.
Using a remote battery is preferable to avoid the connections dropping off the battery terminals due to vibration.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
There are strobes that use just the HT power to fire the strobe without a battery.This type cannot be connected to any battery,on or off the bike.
So,the meaning of this advise is to buy a battery powered unit rather than an HT powered type which is often much dimmer with an orange glow rather than white light.
Using a remote battery is preferable to avoid the connections dropping off the battery terminals due to vibration.
I hadn't heard of the HT powered strobe lights. They sound like flashing toys.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
I hadn't heard of the HT powered strobe lights. They sound like flashing toys.
They are not very good at all.I bought one about 25 years ago when funds were tight.Served its purpose at the time but not much good if used in normal daylight.I like the term flashing toys,it was a bit dim and poor quality.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts