Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new to me 2004 Speed Four on Saturday. I ordered a set of Sky King frame sliders and tail section protectors. I installed them today but ran into a problem.

The tail section sliders and right side frame slider went on without a hitch. The left side frame bolt was on super tight, it came out with much grunting. Looks like it had some galling, or was over torqued at the factory. The bolt itself had some silver metal on the threads(cry, cruse etc.)

No guts no glory right? So I screwed on the left side slider, it went in good and torqued at soild 40nm.

So what do you guys think? Keep an eye on it and ride the hell out of it? Could the silver on the bolt been, thread locker or some sort of anti galling paste?

From the looks of it if it ever needs a Heilicoil its going to be a bitch.

Andy

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I might also add, the the silver on the bolt looked like dried silver paste that covered all the threads from the valley to the pitch of the bolt.

On the stripped out threads I have seen in the past I have seen hair like shards of metal come out with the bolt. But not in my case.

Thanks Andy

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Jeez, it's been ages since I installed my sliders, and thankfully I've not had to replace any of them since, but I do seem to recall seeing the same stuff on the bolts....I assumed it was just some sort of threadlock or anti-seizing compound....had no idea which.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
D41,
Thanks for the reply, your experience makes me feel much better.

I called John at Sky King, he told me that my problem is quite common. A steel bolt bolted into an aluminum block for 8 years, it was galling or just plain frozen. He did say that, I'm good if the slider went in and torqued down to factroy spec's.

Two thumbs up to Sky King, great product and great service.

Thanks and WHEW,
Andy

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
SkyKing are really good....haven't bought anything from them in a while, but some people used to be a bit put off by John not giving shipping charges, when it's really a matter of him waiting until he goes to the Post Office to find out what you owe him!!

They're one of the few good resources I know that still carry a decent amount of aftermarket parts for our bikes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SkyKing are really good....haven't bought anything from them in a while, but some people used to be a bit put off by John not giving shipping charges, when it's really a matter of him waiting until he goes to the Post Office to find out what you owe him!!

They're one of the few good resources I know that still carry a decent amount of aftermarket parts for our bikes.
I guess John fixed the shipping charges problem, because shipping on my order was free.

Andy

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
It's on it's in and it's torqued properly. I'd leave it for now and deal with it if it becomes a problem when you take it out.

You can usually feel if a threads bad when you put a clean bolt in but if it felt the same as on the other side you should be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts