Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Triumph America has developed a problem where it stops running when it is raining. It just dies slowly like it is running out of fuel. Mostly it starts again in a few minutes but yesterday I had to get the local Road Service mechanic out and he really had no idea why it was happening. He did get it running by injecting fuel into the carbie which made no sense to either of us as there was plenty of spark and fuel.It appears to be an electrical fault but maybe not?
Any suggestions please?:confused:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Take a look in the Twins technical forum, this is a common problem and has been discussed on a couple of threads, one only a few days ago.

You are correct in thinking it is running out of fuel. It is caused by the petrol tank breather hose becoming blocked with splashed rainwater, which is believed to be caused by the hose being 'square' cut rather than 'slash' (i.e. at an angle) cut at it's end.

Next time it happens, unscrew the petrol cap a little and the engine should pick up very quickly. I have had this problem on my Scrambler, took a while (and some reading on here) to find out what was going on, and have subsequently solved the problem.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take a look in the Twins technical forum, this is a common problem and has been discussed on a couple of threads, one only a few days ago.

You are correct in thinking it is running out of fuel. It is caused by the petrol tank breather hose becoming blocked with splashed rainwater, which is believed to be caused by the hose being 'square' cut rather than 'slash' (i.e. at an angle) cut at it's end.

Next time it happens, unscrew the petrol cap a little and the engine should pick up very quickly. I have had this problem on my Scrambler, took a while (and some reading on here) to find out what was going on, and have subsequently solved the problem.
Thanks Dave, I'll read up on it. Makes sense but you would think they would have fixed it permanently by now!
cheers
Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Forchetto, it makes sense and the photos etc are a big help. I cannot believe that Triumph have not sorted it out in production.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts