Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Christmas I got a Renthal street fighter FATBAR to replace my stock 2007 Speed Triple steel bars and a set of Triumph bar end mirrors (Street Triple version). The Street Triple mirror kit is the same mirror as the one sold for the Speed Triple except they come with their own bar end to mount the mirror since Street Triples don't have extended bar ends. The problem I have is that the I.D. of the Renthal bars is alot smaller than my steel bar. The bar ends that came with the Street Triple mirrors are slightly too large to plug into the end of the Renthal bars and the bar ends from the Speed Triple steel bars are alot larger. I cannot find any ready fit bar ends that will fit the mirrors on the ends and also plug fit into the end of the smaller I.D. bars I know I will need to bore out the end of the Renthal bars but I am wondering If anybody out there has already done this and which bar end option did you use? A 5/8 drill bit bored approx 1/2" into the end of the bars to acommidate the Street Triple bars ends from the kit but I'm not sure I want to go with that option. The mirror kit didn't come with the rest of the parts necessary to bind inside and parts from my original bar ends will not work in combination. I guess Street Triple installations use some other existing hardware from their stock set up that obviously are not included in the mirror kit. If I do opt to use my stock Street Triple bar ends from my steel bars, I will have to drill out an even larger hole and live with a much thinner gage tube at the end of the bar. If anyone has done it with this option, what size drill bit did you use? (standard or metric?) Sorry about being long winded but a couple last questions..... Are the Magura Triumph fatbars bored out on the ends to enlarge I.D. to fit bar ends or does Triumph make 2 different bar ends, a smaller one for Fatbars and another larger one for steel bars for Speed Triples? They look the same one that outside and will fit bar end mirrors. Finally... Do Triumph fatbar kits come with bar ends? Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I solved my problem. I originally drilled/bored the end of the bar 1/4" inch deep with a 5/8" stepped drill bit to fit the bar ends provided in the Street Triple mirror kit(That is as far as the stepped bit would allow before starting the next step but that was not deep enough.) I decided against going that route with the bar ends from the kit because it would cost me more $. I didn't have the other parts necessary to secure them. I did find that Moose Racing had a set of bar ends for MX bikes that had hardware that fit and clamped inside however I would have still had to go out and buy a longer allen bolt. (Moose part was $15 and another $5 for longer stainless allen bolts. That didn't include the need for a 5/8" drill bit to go another 1/2" deeper into the end of the bar costing another $18.) What I did instead was bore the end of the bar 11/16" and use the stock bar ends. Problem sloved, although I was reluctant about relieving the end of the bar of the additional material. A new 11/16" dedicated drill bit was $22. I had a new cheepo stepped drill bit lying around that I bought in a kit of 3 from Harbor Freight for $8. I grinded off the 3/4" step behind the 11/16" so I could bore the 11/16" deeper into the bar. Worked like a charm and came out clean and the tubing remains thick enough. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts