Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I'm converting my '03 ST back to stock before I take it back to the local dealership to sell on consignment. I removed a Pipeline under-seat and re-installed an original mudguard without problem. However, once everything is securely mounted and torqued down, I can't get the stock muffler to bolt securely, without wobbling.

Basically, where the muffler bolts to the header pipes, I have the connector ring (for lack of better word) tightened, but the pipe still wiggles and appears loose at this point. As far as I can tell, I have it right, and am not missing any pieces. I have the ring over the muffler end, and the muffler end over the header pipe end. The ring is plenty tight on the muffler end, but the whole unit still wiggles and moves around at that connection point.

Any thoughts on what parts I may have misplaced? If it helps, I'll try and provide some pics, to verify.

Oh yeah, and for what it's worth, this is with Panniers, so the pipe is in the lowered position. Thanks in advance for any ideas, you guys might have.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One last thing, I just started her up, and could feel air coming out at the point where the two points connect, so I'm thinking that it is not fully together. Interestingly, it appears the muffler is fully over the mid-pipe. In fact, the stopper for the center stand prevents me from sliding the muffler and further forward.

I'm confused! :???:

EDIT: To help illustrate, I've included a picture...

[ This message was edited by: NinjaRAT on 2006-12-10 20:03 ]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not sure about your issue with the muffler connecting to the midpipe, however I was interested in what you might be doing with your PipeLine exhaust :cool:

I just picked up that exact bike yesterday and like the look of those underseat exhuasts. Whats the point of having a single sided swingarm if you cant see it?!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Possibly have the ring too close to the muffler. If so, the ring clamps down on the nonsliced section of pipe keeping it from doing much clamping.

Also check to see if the "ends" of the ring are colliding with each other. You may be tightening one end into the other which keeps the ring from getting smaller. It'll happen if the ring has stretched.

[ This message was edited by: chisel on 2006-12-11 15:53 ]

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chisel,

I'm pretty sure I have the ring to the end of the muffler "flanges". In fact, if you look closely at the picture I included, you can see that it's pretty much up there.

However, your second point has merit. In fact, the Pipeline's construction was a bit thicker than the stock muffler, and required that I expand the ring a bit. I can see how the threads of the screw might restrict the ring from tightening. I'll give it a looksie this evening.

Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ninja,

I've recently had my stock can off and on several times and had the same concern as you. My ultimate solution was just to torque the ring bracket as tight as necessary to keep it from moving. It was more torque than I'd like to put on that size bolt but it seems to be what was needed. Before you ask, I didn't have a torque wrench so I don't know how many ft lbs.

As it appears in your photo and as Chisel said, keep the bracket at the end of the pipe.

Bern

[ This message was edited by: PaloAlto on 2006-12-11 16:29 ]

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chisel and Palo, it appears I wasn't tightening the bolt as much as I needed to. After removing the pipe and the ring, I sprayed the ring's bolt down with some WD-40 and squeezed the ring tight with a pair of pliers. Once I put everything together, I wrenched it down a more than before and now it seems to fit pretty tight without any wiggle.

Of course, I'm still feeling some exhaust escaping at the connection point, but it might be because I have the ring a bit too much forward, and you can see the slits below (though I can't see a gap between the pipes.

I may try loosening and moving it back a tad, to see if that helps some.

Thanks again! I guess the obvious escaped me...again. :hammer:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bingo! She's ready for the selling block! Thanks again, everyone!

Oh and if anyone's interested, I'll be putting in the classifieds, a Zero Gravity touring shield and Pipeline underseat exhaust (with pre-cut mudguard and battery holder). :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts