Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed some black stuff building up on the rear wheel, normally wouldn't think twice but its been sun and dry as a bone, no much tho.

On the side where the shaft is, on the underside of the hub or whatever and along the bottom half of the shaft I noticed its covered in a film that is oily/greasy. if I rub off the black stuff I can only describe it as kinda greasy but with a bit of a texture...

Anyway, maybe this is just normal and its stuff from the roads together with a bit of oil of grease and just normal build up. Also, I've had a shaft drive bike before and my other bike is a belt drive.

The bike had an annual service recently, has just turned 3 but has only 3,000 miles on the clock.

But I'd rather know if there is anything to look out for and that I should know about sooner rather than later while I'm still covered by a 3 month warranty

·
Registered
761 Posts
Get it in ASAP-there is a small bit of lube in the final drive and any leak is too much.
I've seen this one time before.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
If it's a leak from the drive train, yes, it's serious!

From your description, I can't be sure whether you've just picked up road grime, or whether it's what KoF is talking about. If you can't tell, either, then it's best to get an expert to look at it. If you do have a leaking seal, you don't want to take the chance on the drive bearings freezing up when you're putting that much power through them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'll get someone to take a look at the weekend. I'm not sure if its road grime or something more, I can wipe black stuff off all the way up to the engine , though its a very fine film... but have a ride to the dealer at the weekend, just hope it doesn't rain or that will hide it.

Apart from that niggle it rides like a dream

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks for being a bit more clear. You cannot be sure until you get it up on the lift and give it a good "look-see". It's impossible to say for sure what's going on but if it is a leak it must be addressed. Let us know the result, please.
KOF

·
Registered
617 Posts
Set the bike up level and loosen the bevel box oil fill plug and if any starts to drain out then you should be ok. The black stuff could be grime collected by residual cosmoline.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dropped by my tame mechanic for him to take a look, he said its not a leak and most likely just stuff off the road. His comments where the black stuff was relatively dry, so reckon Ugarte is right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts