Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the oil in my primary. The plug that serves as the drain and access point to the chain adjuster calls for an "O" ring. It has a groove in it for the "O" ring but if the bolt is torqued down the "O" ring is shredded and a major leak occurs.

Does it need to only be tightened slightly to compress the "O" ring ? What am I missing here ?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I just changed the oil in my primary. The plug that serves as the drain and access point to the chain adjuster calls for an "O" ring. It has a groove in it for the "O" ring but if the bolt is torqued down the "O" ring is shredded and a major leak occurs.

Does it need to only be tightened slightly to compress the "O" ring ? What am I missing here ?

Thanks,
Jeff
Not familiar with the '79, but what you describe suggests you go down finger tight, then 1/2 a tun to compress the O ring. If you're worried about the plug loosening and falling out, you've a right to, but some blue loctite on the thread will avoid this.

Also,

If there is a groove on the bolt for an O ring, it suggests a seal between bolt and case. You may well have a larger than necessary O ring. causing it to "pinch" the extra rubber out, causing the leak.

Failing all this, a small neoprene washer against the head of the bolt may do the same thing for you. RR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts