Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all at triumph classics,
i have just bought a meriden bonnie after a 20yr break from triumph, when i tried to start my 1979 T140d after 2 years standing and i have two problem/queries? i am a bit rusty on the mechanics.
1st..when i start the engine it starts ok, but when i try to balance the carbs it appears that one cylinder is very very lazy [struggles on 1 cylinder].. it needs a lot more tickover adjustment to try and keep pace at TICKOVER with what i would say is the health cylinder? any one got some kind of proceedure to follow
carb needle height is ok, correct needle.
spark,HT lead,coil all work fine on opposite cylinder
2nd.. when the engine is running and i take the top PRIMARY CASE inspection screw out it Blows gasses out powerfull beating gasses is this normal?
thanks to all you triumph enthusiasts
nick woodward england

·
Registered
794 Posts
Nick,

Sounds like the breather hose is blocked. Should be a plastic right angle fitting on the gearbox side of the primary chaincase at the top, where a hose fits on. This short section of hose goes to a T-piece behind the left side cover, with the smaller hose from the T-piece going up to the breather pipe on the underside of the OIF - near the steering neck. The larger hose from the T-piece (D Section silver plastic hose) goes up over, and clips onto, the left hand side of the rear mudguard, bring the crankcase vapours out behind the back wheel.
HTH

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I believe on a 79 the hose runs to the base of the air-filter housing on the right side. At least it does on my 78.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts