Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to this forum...please be kind. I am trying to build a Triumph "bobber" out of some bits (2 factory hardtail frames and three partial engines) I have laying around. Not as easy as it seemed it would be and I don't think my local British shop has been correct on some of the advice given. Please do feel free to correct me if my assumptions are incorrect.

Since my frame is a factory hardtail, I found that I need to use a long primary case which I was told was not available in alternator configuration. OK, so bought one for a dynamo from him. Two of the engine cases I had were for dynamos so I was covered there. My local guy told me I must also have a drive sprocket with the shock absorber system built into it. That I did not have and purchased most of that from him and got the remaining pieces elsewhere. I did ask if the cranks were the same and was told yes.. something I now do not believe is correct. I only had one clutch assembly and it had rubber shock absorbers in it. I asked if I had a shock absorbing clutch, did I still need that special sprocket...answer yes. Hummm?

I had two crankshafts, both the same, with the replaceable threaded stud for the alternator nut. My dealer knew this as he sold me a new stud because both of mine were damaged. When I went to install the shock absorbing sprocket, it has no place to thread on to that crankshaft. It seems that the cranks are indeed different.

So, can I use a preunit engine sprocket from an alternator engine and drive the clutch with "cush" under that primary case? I do not have one of the drive sprockets (or my primary chain yet) but it seems like it would fit and there would be a shock absorber in the system? Any modifications I will need to make that work?

I hate to keep buying parts I don't need and yet also want to stay on the good side of my local guy who doesn't seem to favor returns.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links

Sunshine Jim,

Thank you very much for the links you provided. They were a great help and reinforced the notion that just because someone, like my local old school Triumph shop, is in a position to know and acts like they know their stuff, doesn't mean that they do.

Thanks again.

Jesse

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.