Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to be mechanically sympathetic to any engine... but my Bonneville is a bit of beast for starting

as with all my previous motocickles, no matter what the weather, I have used the same system to start an engine
99% of the time they fire almost immediately...

but the Bonneville is different

when it has been standing all night (in a garage) I can crank the starter for a good 10 seconds ... nuttin... not a peep

crank the starter again for 10 seconds .... nuttin...

crank the starter the 3rd time ..... it bursts into life!
it then performs beautifully...

I have done the usual mods on the AI Air filter jets etc .... (many thanks to this list - esp. Denbow !!) but please note this starting issue was evident before I did the mods... I thought doing the mods might actually cure it!

the bike was factory standard 2002 2K miles from new always garaged and never ridden in the rain by the previous owner.
maybe it wasnt hardened off properly and its just being a tart???... ;);)

any ideas this learned list ?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
A bike that old with only 2k miles. I'd clean the carbs real good. Maybe then your starting problem will go away, also make sure you don't touch the throttle when trying to start the bike.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Quentin

when i rejetted the carbs, shimmed the needles the carbs were found to be immaculate

mixtures now spot on... plugs as new.... HT leads OK etc as new

s

·
Registered
514 Posts
Stephen -
It should start first touch with only a couple of turns.
Fuel on, switch on, full choke, NO throttle and hit the starter button.

·
Registered
61 Posts
mine turns over a few times before it fires up. almost seems like it waits till the oil light is out before it sends spark. do these have a cut out if there is no oil pressure like others do ??

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Sounds like the choke isn't working. Your repeated cranking is priming it, and then finally it goes. Even on a 1087 the bike fires in 1 or 2 seconds, so I'd look to see why your mixture isn't rich enough to start. I don't have enough experience with the stock carbs to guide you. I sold them within 200 km of buying my bike to put FCR39s on.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
many thanks peeps

one thing I found myself doing is opening the throttle awaiting the fire up ...

Denbow..ya hit it on the head my man....

NO throttle...

the engine has just burst into life after about 2 revolutions of the crank after standing overnight in a cold garage... (around 2 or 3 deg C)

doncha just love this forum!!!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
instead of a real choke, they have a bypass cricuit that richens the mixture, opening the throttle makes the small amount of air through the bypass even less. might keep you from carboning up if you forget to turn off a real choke, but opening the throttle druing starting is a no no.
My 06 starts real easy, the only problems starting were when the igniter was failing.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice.....

this is how it should be (and how it did start !!)

here's the proof !!

turn ya speakers up.....

http://youtu.be/AigV2lhdOyI

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I've heard a motorcycle start before. Mine starts as if it had never been shut off. Sort of like 1/2 turn & it is running. Unless it is very hot after refueling. I have to add a tiny amount of throttle. But it still fires right up.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts