Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to do my first track day with the Striple. Tony's doesn't require a lot, but for those who have done it a few practical questions.

1. Do you pull the fuse for the lights, or just tape them? It looks like the headlights fuse is the same one as for the starter relay, so not sure how you could do that.

2. Suggestions on tape that won't leave too much gunk?

3. I'm planning to run my GoPro but Tony's says you need the safety wire it. Given the standard housing, anyone have ideas how you can do that using a RAM mount system?

Thanks.

·
Registered
466 Posts
1. I actually remove the headlights. Not hard at all, takes a few minutes.
For turn signal lights I disconnect them from the harness, again, pretty simple. As stupid as it sounds I also tape them over, because even if they are disconnected, in the even of a crash, tape prevents them from shattering and leaving shards of glass on the tarmac.
Why don't I ony tape them? Because I want to make sure them blinking it's not gonna be a distraction for others if I hit the button accidentally and light penetrates throught the taping. It is simple enough so that it gives me peace of mind knowing I did everything the right way.

2. I honestly cannot remember where I got the tape and what kind, that's how long ago I got it.

3. I do not run a gopro while on track. I am a newbie, last season was my first on the track, and I want to focus on making sense of everything I am doing, so I took it pretty easy first season.

EDIT: if weather is nice I might join you at Thompson either on Fri or Sat.

·
Registered
895 Posts
1. Depends on the vintage Street Triple on whether the headlight is shared with ignition, I believe the >13 models don't, but preceding do. Hopefully someone can correct me on this. If it is the same, like the 05-recent Sprint line. You can start the bike, pull the fuse to kill the lights, and ride away. Just don't stall it :)
If your going to leave the headlights on, and tape them, I would highly suggest unplugged the bulbs somehow. The headlights can bake tape glue onto the lenses making them very hard to clean back off. Or even melt the plastic lenses of the >13 model.

2. Painters tape is the way to go. Sticks fine for the day, but won't leave a nasty glue mess behind. Just don't leave it taped for a week.

3. No experience with cameras, myself. Our local racing/trackday org requires cameras to have a tether of some kind. Nothing pisses the rest of the riders off more than having to close down a session for a lost action camera to be retrieved from the racing surface because the standard mount glue gave way.

·
Registered
214 Posts
go pro

dont film yourself , you'll just see how crap you are and it will be embarrssing. Enjoy the moment. They are great fun.
Use electrical tape for the lights , its easy too remove , the remaining glue can be wiped off with furnitur polish

·
Registered
466 Posts
1. Depends on the vintage Street Triple on whether the headlight is shared with ignition, I believe the >13 models don't, but preceding do. Hopefully someone can correct me on this. If it is the same, like the 05-recent Sprint line. You can start the bike, pull the fuse to kill the lights, and ride away. Just don't stall it :)
If your going to leave the headlights on, and tape them, I would highly suggest unplugged the bulbs somehow. The headlights can bake tape glue onto the lenses making them very hard to clean back off. Or even melt the plastic lenses of the >13 model.

2. Painters tape is the way to go. Sticks fine for the day, but won't leave a nasty glue mess behind. Just don't leave it taped for a week.

3. No experience with cameras, myself. Our local racing/trackday org requires cameras to have a tether of some kind. Nothing pisses the rest of the riders off more than having to close down a session for a lost action camera to be retrieved from the racing surface because the standard mount glue gave way.

Correct. I have a 14 and bike functions normally when you unplug headlights. If you however would try to unplug cluster gauge bike won;t start, which at the beginning I resented as I'd like to have any speed feedback removed while on the track.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I used to track my '11, and always just taped over the headlights, blinkers, reflectors, and license plate using painters tape. It works well, and doesn't leave any residue. Be careful with heavier tapes on the headlights, as the trapped heat can cause problems; especially on the newer bikes with plastics. Using a go-pro can be a valuable tool, as it provides both audio and visual feedback. That said, taking advantages of the coaches is even more productive as you're getting feedback from an independent/experienced 3rd party.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
If the track has lots of turns and short straights go with a -1T front sprocket. Install frame sliders, engine guards, and axle sliders, (shark fin on the swingarm by sprocket). Race front brake pads.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1. Depends on which year of the Street Triple you have. On the 12+, there is a plug behind the gauge cluster that you can unplug . Very simple and a 2 min job. Or you can totally remove the headlights. Here is more instructions.

2. Depends on the trackday provider too. Some will require you to tape the headlights (painters tape will work). Some require taping only for glass headlights. But to be on the safe side.. just remove it. See above.

3. I use a GoPro with a Ram mount too. I tether it using fishing lines.

·
Registered
358 Posts
For novice, just unplug the headlights and tail (or pull fuse in 2013+) and tape them up with blue painters tape, and you're ready to rock. I wouldn't worry about crash protection for your first time out. If you stay within your comfort zone, then you'll be fine. Set your sag and maybe the suspension clickers to a sportier setting (the manual makes recommendations).

I find the stock brakes work just fine on the track, but I run a stock motor. 90-rwhp doesn't need a lot of speed scrubbed before corners. :)

My one piece of advice: tape over the speedometer. One of the worst crashes I ever saw was a novice watching the speedo and not the track. Looked up to see a bike right in front of him and grabbed a whole lot of front brake in panic. Really bad endo.

Have fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts