Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I purchased an oil tank from someone who lives near by and have some questions about it (picture of tank attached).

1. Will this tank fit a 67 TR6C? (the filler cap has been moved apparently)
2. How do I clean it? Rinse with gasoline? Diesel? Soap & Water?
3. Compressed air through the lines?
4. Will I really need to employ the feed to rear chain or will I cap-off that outlet?

Thanks, Jon D.

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
Mounts look pre-67 to me, but I could be wrong. Lift your seat and look ... bottom mount would be the same anyway.

It's a cool tank with the side-mount filler ... I hope it mounts up as it will look super cool!

As far as the chain oiler goes, you can just cap it. I capped mine and it doesn't care.

For cleaning it, you can use just about anything. Just make sure ALL the detergent is out of it before you use it ... Marine Clean is good ... Simple Green would do it ... Dawn ...

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Oil tank scrubbing

As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as an oil tank that is TOO CLEAN. So, that said, here's some tips and things I've learned cleaning oil tanks.

First, mineral spirits work great. And you can use over and over if you filter it.

Go to the store and get a box of white coffee filters that will fit in your funnel. Fill the tank about half full of mineral spirits, and shake it well. Then pour thru a rag, like an old T-shirt. This will trap all the big stuff. Put a handful of sheetrock screws in the tank and pour in the min spirits and shake it again. Pour it thru a clean portion of the rag. Repeat this until no more large debris comes out. Now if you have access to a diesel injector brush, scrub every nook and cranny of the tank. Put the min spirits back in and shake, then pour thru another clean area of the rag. When you are pretty sure all the junk is out and any deposits stuck to the side are gone, pour in clean min spirits and shake well. Now pour this batch thru a coffee filter. It will go thru slowly, so patience is required. Repeat this, changing the filter each time until you see nothing in the filter.

As an added method to extract ferrous metal debris, find a large flat magnet that you can use to cover the mouth of the tank. Turn the tank over as you shake it so the min spirits flushes past the magnet. Each time you dump the min spirits thru a clean filter, check the magnet by looking at it with a bright light behind it. Look for metallic whiskers. Remove with a paper towel. If I'm cleaning a tank for a newly rebuilt engine, I wear a jeweler's loupe to look at the magnet.

The problem with the small metallic debris is it adheres to the inside of the tank walls when you pour out the liquid. That means you need to flush many times to get it all out. And I actually don't think you can ever get it all out. I went thru 30+ filters on the last tank I cleaned. And the magnet still had tiny whiskers on the last flush.
Good luck,
Rob

·
Registered
913 Posts
You'd better get that thing off the wife's sofa!:eek:

Great tips... that's on my list of chores as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts