Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Preds and a little black thing ?

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Redrider736 
#1 ·
My order from BC came in today with my new shinny Predator Exhaust. As I was unpacking them I noticed a little black oddly shaped piece . What is this for ? I will post a pic if needed.

#5 ·
hey neighbour!

redrider, I see you are in London - I'm in Waterloo with a recently repaired salvaged '04 red thruxton. I notice that you have done some mods - any parts you want to get rid of?? I'm just starting my mods and we both know the difficulty getting parts in Canada and the expense of ordering from the states! This is just me trolling for some cheaper, close-by parts.

#6 ·
redrider, I see you are in London - I'm in Waterloo with a recently repaired salvaged '04 red thruxton. I notice that you have done some mods - any parts you want to get rid of?? I'm just starting my mods and we both know the difficulty getting parts in Canada and the expense of ordering from the states! This is just me trolling for some cheaper, close-by parts.
The Mod Illness is a nasty thing !! I will PM you with a few stock & aftermarket items that I my be interesting in selling.

#7 · (Edited)
Still need some help

After reading the posts I thought I understood what I needed to do. When I looked at the stock mufflers and compared them to the BC Preds I was more confused than ever ?

The stock left side muffler has a built in bump stop. The Pred dose not .Is this were the little black oddly shaped piece comes into play ?

I also noticed that the mounting holes on the mufflers were not the same ? The stockers are round,and the Preds are well not round ? I figured that I needed to remove the rubber inserts from the stock ones and use them on the Preds ? Not so. *** !!

Have a look at a few pics I took.

The only other question I have is. When you mount the mufflers up to the down pipes do I need to seal/glue them ?

#8 ·
After reading the posts I thought I understood what I needed to do. When I looked at the stock mufflers and compared them to the BC Preds I was more confused than ever ?

The stock left side muffler has a built in bump stop. The Pred dose not .Is this were the little black oddly shaped piece comes into play ?

I also noticed that the mounting holes were not the same ? I figured that I needed to remove the rubber inserts from the stock ones and use them on the Preds ? Not so.

The only other question I have is. When you mount the mufflers up to the down pipes do I need to seal/glue them ?
Hey Redrider
I faced the same confusion a couple of months back, What I did was mount the supplied bracket off the header-exhaust clamp bolt and used the OEM rubber stopper on it. Obviously you have to do this with the bike on a swing arm stand, but leave the bolt untightened and gently swing the sidestand back and position the stopper bracket where it needs to be then tighten away. Actually you'll find there's more ground clearance than with the original configuration too.
Yes you do need to seal them - I don't recall the name but it's pretty standard stuff in a tube (I know it's mentioned in some earlier threads). Also be careful when putting the chrome trim piece (for want of a better description) back - the 2 tabs slide under the clamp and once positioned to hide the joint properly can be tightened - I say careful because the tabs are very weak and bend easily - so much so that the trim piece on my bike just flew off on the way to work this week!!
Hope this helps - if you need me to take a pic of mine let me know
Cheers
Steve

#18 ·
I just ordered mufflers and new jets. The airbox will be next. I am in atlanta but from what I've heard lately it is suppose to get very cold here in the next few days. I'll probably wait until the end of March to put them on. This will probably change once there sitting around staring at me in my condo.

#19 ·
I just ordered mufflers and new jets. The airbox will be next. I am in atlanta but from what I've heard lately it is suppose to get very cold here in the next few days. I'll probably wait until the end of March to put them on. This will probably change once there sitting around staring at me in my condo.
This subject has been mentioned in many previous threads but you won't get much performance increase with just the Preds only - it really needs to be done in conjunction with improved airflow to the carbs i.e. if you don't allow more air in, the Preds will only exhaust the same as the standard mufflers with less back pressure and more noise. A lot more, believe me! If you don't improve the airflow in then there's no point in rejetting either. So best bang for the buck either remove or modify the airbox - I did, and it's a huge improvement in performance, sound and fun!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.