Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My bike is set up with the Predator exhaust with airbox removed and K&N pod filters.

I did some butt dyno testing and came up with the following findings.

With no baffles inside the predators, I found my top end at the higher RPM's to be great. Although real world riding, I very seldom operate in that range.

Put in some small 2 inch internal baffles. I fully expected and did lose some high RPM power for sure. I can feel it at the very top of the tach and end up short shifting a little, since all I'm doing spinning the motor with little or no additional gain. Sort of a strange feeling, but it's a real thing. (imagination eliminated with testing)

NOW, that being said...... there is another plus side to this thing. I'm not being clocked through the 1/4 mile RIGHT!!!

I found out that my mid range torque is actually better with the baffles, which help with roll on throttle on twisty roads. So the bike performs much better inside the mid range while the torque developing faster in that mid range rather then up higher in that never seldom reached RPM ranges.

This all based on my butt meter, but I confirm the findings with the baffles in and out several times, (first thought it was my imagination). So I have discovered things are better for real world mid range rpm riding with some additional back pressure.

So YUP. I'm enjoying less sound, which I'm liking and the big plus, this new found mid range torque the bike never had before. WIN WIN in my book.

What say you?

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
What tune are you running?

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Yes this came up in one of my threads recently. Apparently because of the length and openness of the Preds there's very little back-pressure, which affects low-end torque. Adding baffles is supposed to help the back-pressure and give better torque. I haven't tried it yet as I like the sound, but maybe I will given your feedback... ;)

Nick

·
Registered
50 Posts
2010 mag wheel Bonneville with Predators, air injection properly removed, stock air box, Arrow 2into2 tune. 4" baffles inserted into the end of the pipes just before the Preds. I have run this setup with and without the baffles. I find it much more to my taste with the baffles in. Low end and midrange torque is improved, quieter at highway speeds, and better, smoother overall running. I haven't measured carefully but I believe gas mileage, (>50 mpg) is also improved with increased back pressure the baffles provide. So call me a believer ...

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
I cut down the 4" baffles to half size, so still had 1 set of 4 little metal prongs, and actually you can still bend these in and out to suit and change the noise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts