Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Bought a 2009 T100 last month. Every minute of riding the Bonnie has been a joy. It is bone stock right now but I will be starting to add stuff from this week. Installing the M bars, bar end mirrors, new indicators, center stand etc this week.

For the near future I wanted to add the BC FEK and also Predator Pipes. I spoke to the dealer from whom I bought the bike and he said the FEK is not such a big deal but suggested that I don't tamper with the exhaust. He said that a lot of people who have swapped their OEM exhaust have started getting caught off late.

I stay in the SF bay area, CA. Does anyone stay in this area and has used Predators or equally loud pipes? Any trouble with the law? Even in BC website, they mention certain things are not legal in CA (but no other state is mentioned).

I like the Predator pipes sound and looks but do not want to take too much of a risk. How much of a risk am I taking with the predators? If you think Predators are a big risk then what Pipes do you suggest for the CA area? I have read that Togas and BC sleepers are relatively quieter but I don't like the pea shooter exhaust looks a lot. Any suggestions or pointers will be highly appreciated. I have read almost all the threads on the predators on this forum but could not find clear answer to this question.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
As long as there is one Harley in CA with obnoxiously loud pipes, you'll be fine. The noise abatement laws are designed for those straight-pipe racketeers.

Honestly, Preds are much louder than OEM silencers (so is my blender), but they're not offensive. If you like the look and want a more refined exhaust note, look at Staintunes.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Most of the comments about special rules for California are more about emissions than anything else. Yes, Preds are much louder than stock - but they're way nicer to listen to than most of the HD pipes. I doubt you'd have any problems.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My Harley with STOCK pipes is louder than my Thruxton with Predators. I know California is tougher than Texas is, but I can't imagine that you'd have any issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I feel more confident going for a predator now. Also, I would have probably considered Staintunes but they are ridiculously expensive and I will not be able to afford it anytime soon.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't know why the dealer wouldn't want to sell you pipes, unless they're making too much money and have to tone it down a bit? It's more likely they're not distributors for BC; they'd have to pay retail for the Predators and couldn't make any mark-up off you. My shop got D&D pipes from a company we DO distribute for called (no ****) Motorcycle Stuff. I paid cost + 15%, so it was a win-win. I really like my D&D's, which are similar enough to the Predators in profile that you may want to check them out: http://www.danddexhaust.com/catalog/triumph/

The EPA governs air AND noise pollution (maybe CARB does too, I don't know), and don't forget the new California law requiring EPA stamps on all pipes made after 2013. Since exhaust made before 2013 will be grandfathered, I'd get 'em while you can! But speaking of cans, don't throw out your stockers, because the law could change again (and again etc).

Technically every non-EPA labeled exhaust has been illegal at least as long as I've been alive (hence the "for competition use only" or "not legal for highway use" warnings on all their descriptions). That does not stop any of us, from dragpipe outlaws to cafe racers, from restoring our machines to how they were designed to run before they were strangled to meet EPA. It just gives The Man another excuse (like a helmet that may not be DOT, clothing they don't like, etc etc)...if they're inclined to hassle you they will.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remapping the Predator

So, I dropped by the official Triumph dealership today to pick up some stuff. The guy there also told me that that apart from the trouble I am going to get from the law, I will also need to spend extra money to get the bike dyno'ed and remapped. He said since it is illegal they will not be able to do it and it costs $300-400 to get that done. Is that true? How were you guys able to remap after pipe changes? How much did it cost? His opinion was that I stick to arrows or staintunes as I am going to end up spending that much anyways.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
You absolutely do NOT need to dyno your bike if you switch to Predators, but should get it remapped, and BC suggests the Triumph Arrow 2-into-2 map My dealer did this for me for $70, but it can be done using TuneECU (free), you just need a cable (not free, but not expensive) and a computer.

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
So, I dropped by the official Triumph dealership today to pick up some stuff. The guy there also told me that that apart from the trouble I am going to get from the law, I will also need to spend extra money to get the bike dyno'ed and remapped. He said since it is illegal they will not be able to do it and it costs $300-400 to get that done. Is that true? How were you guys able to remap after pipe changes? How much did it cost? His opinion was that I stick to arrows or staintunes as I am going to end up spending that much anyways.
Find a new dealer. Its not true.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Like I was sayin'...

His opinion was that I stick to arrows or staintunes as I am going to end up spending that much anyways.
Ok it's true that to get full benefit from less restrictive exhaust you need to put the bike on a dyno and fine-tune the ignition map over multiple runs. I suspect your dealer is a distributor for Staintune (as well as Arrow and Triumph "offroad" exhaust of course), and if he didn't stress that those pipes will need to be dyno'd too, that probably means he can download the ignition maps for them. Uploading proprietary maps to a fuel control module should get you in the ballpark of optimal tune without a dyno. Note that Dynojet offers a Power Commander III downloadable map (M21-005-002) specifically for "British customs slip-ons, Stock air filter." IMO, he just really doesn't want to sell you the Predators...because he won't make any money by doing so!

·
Registered
232 Posts
As already stated a Dyno run is not required AT ALL for just getting new cans. A remap is required for an EFI bike.

There are two ways to get a remap done. A half way fair dealer should do it for you for around $50. Max. The other way is to download the TuneECU program to your computer ( a free program that many on this forum have used for some time) and get a USB to ODB cable to run from your computer to your bike. You can get one of these from Ebay for around $20.

Here is one

I would actually suggest getting the cable and learning how to use TuneECU properly as it makes you less reliant on your dealer. Teachs you a little how your bike works. And it means you can remap it yourself if you decide to change exhausts again or go back to stock.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I run the TPUSA Dominator Touring pipes. They look similar to the Preds but are a tad quieter, though still louder than stock. I did a re-jet because I have carbs. I ride with some Harley guys and they are loud enough that I can't hear my bike very well. They have aftermarket pipes, but are not at all as loud as straight pipes.

Even with the preds, you will likely not be the nail that gets hammered by the law. The straight pipe guys are likely to get hit first. Just keep your RPM under control in town and you should be fine. I am personally not worried.

P.S. - I still have my stock pipes in case it gets worse here in Kalifornistan.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The difference, especially in California with an aggressive agency like the CARB at work, may be in whether you buy and install illegal pipes yourself, or expect that the dealer will do it. A dealer mentioned in this thread paid a very hefty fine for installing their own brand on new bikes and trashing the stock ones. They can sell them over the counter with the usual disclaimers, but may not install them on a new bike, and probably not a used one, either. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen, but if you've already been caught and paid, you'd have to be especially careful.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I live north of the GGB and ride locally around the Bay area. I have predators. I have not run into any issues although I try to be considerate where I open the throttle. As someone else said, as long as riders of a v-twin variety continue to run straight through pipes, we look positively golden

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I'm in CA, have Predators, and I can assure you, my husband's cop brother in law has MUCH louder pipes on his bike...his set off the neighbors' car alarms.

They're not illegal in any way, and there's nothing legal to prevent your dealer from remapping the ECU, which should be done lest you wind up with a very lean running bike (voice of experience on that one.)

·
Registered
959 Posts
It's easy enough to upshift or pull the clutch in if you're worried about it passing by a cop.

Buy the pipes, throw'em on, toss in the arrow 2-2 map at the dealer, and have a blast.

And like other's said, find another dealer too while you're at it. For the bike's sake if not yours at least lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts