Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone suggest any parts suppliers for Pre War Triumph singles? I'm particularly interested in the Turner OHV bikes of the late 30's. I know that Ace stock a few things but it's very limited.

I also wonder if there are any forums that cater for the early bikes, even the 50's bikes are rarely discussed on here!!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I would think you might want to join the Vintage Motorcycle Club or The Triumph Motorcycle Club in the UK.

K

·
Registered
330 Posts
..japes,have you been to the ajs/matchless club night at Spilsby?..l think it's still on tuesday night.In the town center & the curried chips are nice in the caff..... I can tell you one thing,if you think these blokes are old codgers,well,coming back home there were a load of riders
who still think its 1960's..how we never got pulled over for those 50 miles I'll never know??? Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Japes, if you look on australian ebay, there are some pre war single parts on there. There is a greek guy who occassionally sells 3hw stuff on fleabay too. British only austria, mark upham might have something, but there is not much on his website. Cornucopia enterprises in germany have stuff like valves, pistons and valve springs What are you looking for and for what bike ?

The problem with these bikes is there age, and rareity, they were not a lot of them built, and most would have been used through a war.

I have a triumph 2/1 250cc myself, but i am looking for a tiger 70 rocker box so i can fit a tiger 70 cylinder head to it (the 2/1 had exposed valve gear, that wears out rapidly due to lack of lube and road dust)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, I'm already a member of the VMCC, I was a member of the Triumph Owners club as well but it starts getting expensive when you are members of about 5 clubs so I didn't renew!

I'll try and get over to Spilsby some time, especially if the chips are good!!

Cheers iretri, I'll try a few of those places. I'm not really after anything specific but I'm sure things like sprockets, clutch, gaskets, brakes and engine internals might be required at some stage. I'm sure most of those things will be able to be found at auto jumbles or reconditioned/made but it would be easier if I could find a supplier.

The bikes are a 2H/T70, T80 and T90 and are my dad's, I'm assisting him keeping them running!

You actually see quite a few bikes from that era at VMCC events though admittedly not many Triumphs. They just don't seem very well catered for with suppliers or Internet forums - supply and demand I suppose.

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quite a lot of later parts can be adapted to fit the earlier pre war models, clutches, sprockets etc can be "made fit". Things like the triumph gearbox and clutch changed little until they went unit in the 60's. Other things like gaskets simply have to be homemade. Still, its all part of the spirit of the age these bikes were made in, "make do and mend".

I don't suppose your dad would have a rockerbox for the 2h/t70 he's part with ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I'm starting to realise a lot of the cycle parts look very similar to my '55. I'll have to get some sheets of gasket material as well - not that there are many gaskets to be honest.

I'll ask my dad about a rocker cover, he may well have one but finding it will be difficult. Getting him to part with it will be even harder!

If I come across one anywhere else I'll let you know.

·
Registered
330 Posts
..I have a few bits for a 1939 3S if your interested?If you'd like I'll post photo's?Cheers!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: iretri

·
Registered
9 Posts
They didn't change radically even then.

I have 1968 internals in my 1955 gearbox.
If it ain't broke, and all that. Triumph should have upgraded the 500cc unit gearbox at some point and never did. The gearbox was only designed for an 18hp 350cc, the 3ta. When it got to the late 1960's and 40+ hp with the Daytona, the gearbox was the weak link.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts