Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a box of early/mid '50s pre unit Triumph 500 engine parts and am trying to put an engine together out of it. There are three cranks with it, two 3 piece and one 1 piece. I've split the three piece cranks looking for the sludge tube to clean and check. The manual isn't clear about this procedure but there doesn't seem to be a sludge trap tube in any of the cranks, just an open passage from the end feed thru to the big end journals. Does this type of crank have a sludgetube trap or should I just put it back together as I've found it?(new bolts etc)
Nick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
nick, is there any reason your not using the 1 piece crank,i have heard they're stronger ,can you still buy the original bolts new?
the 3 piece would have to checked for true on a lathe once it's assembled,but it's probably good to check the one piece crank for true anyway as my brother bent one trying to get the timing gear off one .as the sludge trap is the only filter they had ,the 3 piece should probably have external one iff you use it .

·
Super Moderator
12,455 Posts
I am not sure about ALL of the 3-piece cranks, but the '53 T-Bird uses one...

I converted a client bike to a 60s one-piece crank by utilising a custom bearing. It's easy to do and a good upgrade. You then have shell type rod bearings instead of cutting your crank and replacing rods with undersized unobtanium if & when your oiling dries up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts