Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not riding the speed triple much now its winter, its not off the road but i dont use her much this time of year. Started her up in the garage and she fired straight up as normal, it was cold but i let the choke off quite quick maybe this was the wrong thing to do left her ticking over but the revs were very low less than one thousand rpms. the engine stalled and at the same time there was an Almighty clang IE sounded mechanical!! thought of sprag clutch OMG! anyway whatever it was she starts and runs fine now with no repeat so far i dont know what it was any ideas? seems all is well at the moment but is this a warning of fun and games to come.

[ This message was edited by: crogger on 2006-12-12 10:33 ]

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Hmmm... good question! I have absolutely no clue!

Anyone have a picture of the sprag clutch assembly for some diagnosics? Scratch that, I have it at home somewhere so I'll take a look.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Sprint did that once under the same situation [OUCH]. It seems OK. Now I let it warm up a little more before shutting the choke off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Don't worry, be happy.
She just stalled and everything stopped really quick, really suddenly.
I have had that happen on b oth the Trident and Speed Triple, as above, just let her warm a little before shutting the choke off if you're not about to ride her.

Cheers then :-D

PS Lovely Triple by the way

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies, i sometimes think it would be better to lay her up all together in the winter, say till april but if its a bright cold sunny winter day its great to get out on the triumph, the roads can be a lot quieter this time of year anyway. the guy next door used to put his cbr 600 away in the shed about end october and then he would go to it about the following april and expect to just start it up.... then there would be a few days of tank draining and carb cleaning before it would run right again. with the triumph i tend to not put that much fuel in the tank in winter so when i do get out on it say every three weeks or so i can put fresh fuel in her. I tend to start her up whenever its my day off work but im not sure if this does more harm than good, probably just puts condensation into the exhaust system, maybee it would be better to just leave it alone apart from the occasional ride out, i plug in the trickle charger a couple of days a month. i suggested bringing her in to the lounge over christmas but mrs didnt seem to keen! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its no good shes still in that cold damp garage, the speed triple i mean not the missus, im going to wheel her in late on the 24th and park her up under the tree she will look well with a bit of tinsel and a sprigg of holly. we might be both in the garage by new year..... all the best for christmas and a happy new year! :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts